Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Siu Yoke @ Mooi Mooi, Kuala Lumpur

A thousand apologies in advance to my Muslim readers but this is very much a non-halal post. It amazes me that this little place just off Jalan Kuchai Lama does not get much coverage since they serve one of the best siu yoke in town. Maybe those who know about it just want to keep it as a secret. As far as I know, only Charkueyteow.com has talked about this particular place.


In a coffeeshop tucked in a quiet neighbourhood, there is this corner shop that is packed to the brim during lunchtime. Everyone comes here to savour the siu yoke which comes out around 11.30 am piping hot with a crispy skin. It is rumoured that the fella who runs this stall used to be a professional accountant who gave it up for this lucrative business.


I for one am very glad he did that as his siu yoke has a real melt in the mouth quality topped with a crispy skin. Although he serves other roasted meats, they are only passable as their best seller is the siu yoke. Go early to get a plateful of the best bits and before it runs out. If it wasn't for my aunt who lives in Taman Desa, I doubt I would have discovered these people.

Restaurant Mooi Mooi
Jalan Rukun 2
Off Jalan Kuchai Lama
Kuala Lumpur
Opens from 11.00 am till 3 pm. Closes on alternate Mondays.

(sorry no map like KY. Turn into Jalan Kuchai Lama from Old Klang Road, keep right and turn right at the first traffic light. You will see Restaurant Talipon at your left hand side. Go straight and turn left (you can't go straight further as it's a no entry sign), drive straight and turn right again, go up the road and you will see shophouses on your left hand side. Mooi Mooi is the last shop at the end which faces a chinese temple at Jalan Rukun 7)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kampung Boy loves siu yoke to the max!! I'll brought him back siu yoke each time i went back to Ipoh..Now that we get to know this place, I dun have to tuck in siu yoke inside my luggage anymore~!

Unknown said...

wow, that is one ominous looking cleaver stuck to that chopping block.... the siu yok sounds like heaven!

boo_licious said...

Poor Ipohgal - I don't think I would like my luggage to be stuffed with siu yoke as it may smell. Ipoh has a lot of good food - hope this siu yoke will be up to it's standard.

Cath - Yeah, can you imagine if I made him mad! He'll probably swing that cleaver at me. Yes, the siu yoke is heavenly. Really far away but once in a while can drive there to eat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...