Thursday, March 09, 2006

Kuih Bakul @ Weng Hing, Imbi, Kuala Lumpur

I spied these recently when I was stuck at Jalan Imbi and thought I will take a break from sitting in the traffic jam. Weng Hing is a famous corner coffeeshop along Jalan Imbi that serves yummy pork noodles and char kuay teow. My niece loves the pork noodles here and will always ask for it to be ta pau (Chinese for pack back home) for her. Must blog about the famous noodles one day.



Last week, Kate from Pie in the Sky made a comment about the sugar cane juice she found in Ecuador hence I thought she would be interested to see how Malaysians make their juice. The stripped sugar cane is placed inside the machine which will automatically press the juice out. I found an interesting fact about sugar cane juice - you can distill the juice to make ethanol which is used by the South Americans as cheap fuel. Only found this nugget of information last night when I saw the latest episode of Amazing Race as one of their tasks was to make ethanol for their car in Brazil.



The stall also sells fried snacks like pisang goreng (Malay for banana fritters), fried popiah and kuih bakul. I didn't manage to get any banana fritters as it was sold out but they still had kuih bakul. Here you can see the three layers of kuih bakul: yam, nien gao and sweet potato. Nien gao is a sweet sticky glutinous rice cake which is popular during Chinese New Year.



Once the three layers are assembled, it's dipped in batter and deep fried in hot oil. You get the crispy layer on the outside with the soft yam and sweet potato layers accompanied by the sticky nien gao which taste great.

Weng Hing Restaurant
183, Jalan Imbi
Kuala Lumpur

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: + +

11 comments:

Alicia said...

yummy... i like nian gao.. buden high in calories :/ sin sin...

but i still love em..

suanie said...

oh so that's called kuih bakul... heh my mom used to make it lots with nian gao... best!!! i miss my mommy :(

Mummie Joan said...

wah!! great pics!!

i din know they actually use those kind of machines to make nian gao! haha!!!

anywayz the golden dragon city post is GOOD! i always go there; near my hse only! haha! =)

Bkworm said...

yummy! I know where this place is - I blogged about the yong tau foo stall in the same coffee shop not too long ago :)

wyejon said...

never knew it was called kuih bakul... me and ST always called it nien gou...

that looks really delicious!

fatboybakes said...

hey boo, i saw a girl with a huge camera taking a picture of a bowl of prawn noodles in a bangsar coffee shop a couple of days back, and was wondering if it was you. but since no pics have appeared of prawn noodles, i guess not lar hor. as usual, your pics just made me put on 2kgs.

boo_licious said...

Alicia - cute calvin & hobbes. Once in a while eat shld be ok.

Suanie - awww, ask mummy to come back and make for you.

joan - eh, the machine is for sugarcane juice!

de book worm - usually eat the pork noodles, char kuay teow and egg tarts here only, yet to try Yong Tau Foo.

wyejon - the stall calls it kuih bakul,they even have a nice sign with all the prices.

fatboybakes - hahaha, nope I was not eating prawn noodles in Bangsar. Wow, better be careful where I go, may bump into you.

Unknown said...

boo_licious,
3 layers kuih bakul looks fabulous. I never had it before, except a plain kuih bakul I have to try it when I go home for a visit next time.

boo_licious said...

anasalwa - three layers are heavenly as there is crispy, soft and melting goodness all rolled up in one bite. Hope you try it, you can get it at all Chinese stalls that sell goreng pisang.

Babe_KL said...

oooOOOooo i missed this a lot!!! hardly come to eat the pork ball noodles here any more as the price have been spiralling! we go to the stall's sifu place somewhere near the BKT row behind. their siew cheung is far better and not so expensive

sprinkled_cupcakes said...

This is my fave kuih bakul shop! i'm not sure if i'm talking about the right one cuz the 3 layered fried yam+niengao+sweet potato, has always been refered to by people around me as niengao....

anyways love it! i miss it lots

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...