Monday, March 27, 2006

IMBB 24 - Clams in Shaoxing Wine Soup




This month, Too Many Chefs challenged us with the theme of "Make it in 30 minutes" for IMBB. I must admit, I almost forgot about the IMBB event until the last minute plus I was really so busy the whole weekend. I only managed to get this cooked on Sunday night but wow, it blew me away on how absolutely tasty and easy it was to make it.

This dish is pretty popular in local seafood restaurants where the serve the clams in a soupy broth. Some versions have more Chinese herbs in it making the broth more flavourful. I used medlar seeds (kei chi in Chinese) which is said to help improve one's eyesight. For the chicken stock, you can use pre-made chicken stock (I usually keep some in the freezer for cooking purposes) or just any instant stock will do. Just make sure it's the MSG free type as you don't want to be thirsty the whole night from the MSG after effects. Hope you'll try it at home as it's really simple to whip a large plate of clams whenever you have the urge to eat some seafood.

I didn't keep a timesheet but I did take shortcuts such as boiling the water ahead in an electric kettle while I kept a pot with some water to heat on my cooking hob. The cooking of the clams was also done simultaneously with slicing the ginger shreds to cut down time.

Clams in Shaoxing Wine Soup

300 gram clams
20 gram medlar seeds (kei chi)
30 gram shredded young ginger
6 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
700 ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper

Blanch the clams in boiling water, remove and rinse to get rid of the fishy smell (if any). Set aside.

Heat up two tablespoons of oil in a wok and fry the shredded ginger until fragrant. Pour in the chicken stock, medlar seeds and salt and pepper according to your taste. Leave it to boil, then turn down the heat to allow it to simmer for about five minutes. Add in the clams and cook it on high heat for a while until they open. Before dishing up, add the Shaoxing wine and mix. Serve piping hot.

Tagged with: +

10 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

hhmm....nice warm clam in broth. The warmness is from the ginger and wine. Great stuff...

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! This looks absolutely good!

Paz

boo_licious said...

foodcrazee - this is seriously yummy. Drank all the soup and felt great after that.

paz - it was so goooooooooood!!

rokh said...

boo, i had this in restaurant before and loved it! now i can try it.

Stephanie said...

Yums, I like the gouqi in it! I can't make this ... I'll have to make a kg of it just for me!

Ariadne said...

Wow - I've never seen clams like that in Canada. Wish I could taste it through the screen. yum.

Makan Kings said...

This soups sounds yummylicious! It has the best soup ingredients! Seafood, herbs and wine....

Cheers,
-BKT King-

boo_licious said...

rokh - am surprised how easy it was. No need to pay expensive prices at restaurants.

MM - yeah, they are extremely moreish. One can eat 1kg without noticing.

ariadne - awww, wish we could send some to you to Canada.

makan kings - I think the herbal ones will taste even better since it has more chinese herbs. Once you add the wine, it tastes great.

Chefspiration said...

Fellow malaysian here...just came across your blog :) I just started my own food blog today...that clam soup look amazing btw!!

boo_licious said...

Alexandra - glad you have moved back to KL! Am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...