Thursday, September 15, 2005

Teochew Crystal Dumplings

This is going to be a short post as I am rushing off since I am late today. I thought will also ease up on the pictures since I posted so many yesterday.

I recently had these dumplings for breakfast and thought I'll share them with all of you. They are actually called Teochew Crystal Dumplings (Chai Kuih in chinese) as their skin is transculent. There are two varieties below, one filled just with chives and another one with the yam/jicama bean. I bought these ones from a lady at the Sea Park market in Petaling Jaya who sells different varieties all packed up with chili sauce.

I love these steamed dumplings as they are pretty light on your tummy with their crunchy vegetable fillings. Besides the chives and yam bean, they will usually add dried shrimps to the filling. The skin is made from a mixture of wheat starch flour, tapioca flour and glutinous rice flour. Some fried garlic oil and bits of fried garlic is sprinkled on top for a shiny finish and to prevent the dumplings from sticking together.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...