Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Fried Mussels

Do you know I am a book addict? I just can't help buying a book or a magazine whenever I am in a bookshop or worst still during a warehouse sale, I go a bit crazy. The book shelves in my kitchen (for the cookbooks), my study and my store room are burgeoning with books! As there was a Times Bookshop warehouse sale end of August, I did my usual crazy stocking up my bookshelves since they had some pretty good bargains there. One of these bargains were back issues of Donna Hay's magazine (old but still good) going for a song at RM5 each. (it usually sells for RM25.90 an issue)

After flipping through my Donna Hay issues, I had to have some yummy sounding fried mussels she featured in her Christmas edition. I managed to get some lovely fresh green lipped mussels from the pasar tani (Malay for farmer's market). I scrubbed the shells clean and removed all the beards of the mussels before steaming them. Once they were cooked, I shucked them and kept aside the mussels until it was time to dip them in the egg white and breadcrumbs. Try and drain the mussels on absorbent paper as they may have some excess moisture which will cause them to splutter in the hot oil. You can use fresh breadcrumbs as per the recipe but since all I have in my larder were Japanese panko breadcrumbs, I used them instead. Splashie Boy loved these fried mussels so it looks like this will be a regular feature at our table since it was so yummy and easy to make them.

Fried Mussels with Chili Salt ( Serves 4)

1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
sea salt and cracked black pepper

24 black mussels, steamed and removed from their shells (I used green lipped ones instead)
1 eggwhite, lightly beaten
oil for deep frying
lemon wedges to serve

Chili salt
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes


To make the chili salt, place the salt and chili in a small bowl, use the back of a spoon to lightly crush together. Set aside.

Combine the breadcrumbs, sea salt and crushed black pepper. Dip the mussels in the eggwhite and press into the breadcrumb mixture. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan (I used a wok) over low heat and deep fry the mussels for 1 minute or until they turn golden and crispy . Serve with lemon wedges and the chili salt.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! First of all, I love to buy books too. I hate shopping for any other stuff, but don't have a problem buying books. ;-)

Also, I've discovered that I love mussels. I've got to try this recipe! Looks really good and EASY. I like easy recipes. ;-)

Thanks,
Paz

boo_licious said...

paz - Looks like there are lots of people with the same addiction! Mussels are nice especially fresh ones.

M. Akamau said...

oh my goodness...this sounds (and looks) SO good! May have to try this recipe --- providing I can find some decent mussels around here -- besides my hubby's, of course!;)

Thanks for this!
Michele

Farmgirl Susan said...

Those look so good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...