Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Crispy Oat Prawns

I have been quite busy the past few weeks that there has been not much activity in my kitchen but hopefully I will start firing up that wok from this week onwards. Last night, I kicked off my kitchen escapades as we indulged in some crispy oat prawns. The prawns were from my earlier Kuala Selangor trip.

I adapted a recipe from the New Chinese Cuisine by Tung Lok Restaurants which was originally for mantis prawns. Although I had some mantis prawns, they were shelled already so I thought prawns would be more appropriate. Unfortunately I did not have any bird eye's chilli but I made do by adding lots of curry leaves. This dish reminds me the butter prawns that you get at restaurants. It is slightly healthier (this is purely from a comparison point of view as it is quite unhealthy with all that deep frying and butter) since it omits the evaporated milk and egg yolks which is used for butter prawns. Splashie Boy loves this dish so it looks to be one of our favourites to be indulged in once in a while.

Crispy Oat Prawns

300g prawns/ mantis prawns
480 ml corn oil
5 cloves shallots, chopped
100g butter
1 bird eye's chilli, chopped
5 curry leaves
25 g oats

Trim the prawns with a kitchen scissors. Split the prawns in half from the back to devein. Pat dry the prawns and deep fry them in hot oil until they are golden brown. Remove and place on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.

Stir fry the chopped shallots until they are fragrant and golden brown. Add butter, the bird eye's chilli, curry leaves and oats and continue to fry till the oats turn crispy and golden brown as well. Add cooked prawns and mix well. Arrange prawns on plate and pour the oats over to serve. This portion serves two.


13 comments:

NickTay said...

Argh!! Your making me hungry girl! Drool...

Wuching said...

l love prawns mm..

Julie said...

wahh.. i m not realli a prawn eater but ur pic makes me =)~~~~~~

hoho..

eat stuff said...

YUM!!!
looove prawns Boo *drool

pinkylicious said...

Looks good. By the way, what is bird eye's chilli?

FooDcrazEE said...

delish. definitely healthier than butter prawn.

Emotionalistic bird eye chilli is the japaleno of Asian.

it is also called Tabasco Chilli(Capsicum frutescens)
bird eye chilli image

boo_licious said...

nick - you poor thing, still in mongolia land. Never mind you get to eat lots of meat.

wu ching - thanks for dropping by and I love prawns too.

julie - thanks for the nice compliments.

clare - drool drool over your tim tam balls too.

emotionalistic - we call them chilli padi

foodcrazee - thanks for explaining and yes it is slightly healthier than the butter ones.

Joycelyn said...

hmm, crispy oat prawns rock! those look truly awesome...

boo_licious said...

J - Thanks for the lovely compliments. I love your jellies.

Fashionasia said...

erm...what kinda oats did u use?
can use nestum right??

boo_licious said...

fashionasia - I used quaker instant oats which I had in my larder.

Aaron Tan said...

hi there, i would like to make a dish i tried sometime back in a restaurant. it tasted so good and looked a lil' thick and yellowish. i know they have cheese, milk, butter, bird's eye chillies, curry leaves and garlic(yeah many people has said i've very good taste bud!). i would like to cook this but i do not know where to start and what's the proportion of the ingredients. i really do hope you could help me out since you're more experienced and that this dish somehow makes me feel relevant to the dish i'm talking about.thanks in advance, see ya later.

homecookedrecipe said...

I haven't cooked Oat Prawns for a year. My last cook was @ http://jiachangcai.blogspot.com/2008/01/oats-prawn.html. I found it oily, but since then I learnt a new version. Perhaps I should try again soon, as I can get very fresh prawns here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...