Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter Truffle Set Menu @ Sage, The Gardens Residences, Mid Valley City, Kuala Lumpur




I have a soft spot for truffles...they're my Kryptonite. Show me those black diamonds and my knees go weak while my mouth goes dry in anticipation. Hence, when a good friend whispered that Sage was having their winter truffle menu, I could feel my breath getting short. Who cares if I just had truffles barely a month ago. Isn't it the time to indulge I rationally reasoned with my conflicted brain since I was celebrating the year-end?





Thus, I ended up having one of the most brilliant truffle lunches (it's usually available for dinner but they made a special exception for us). It was literally raining truffles that day - on my turbot carpaccio, fanning my silky pasta strands, dotting my crisp skinned pan seared seabass and even adorning my creamy vanilla ice cream.





When we first started our meal, I had to chuckle when the appetizers were served and I tried to snap a picture to capture the dish. Where's the turbot amid this shadowy black dish? It was literally like the Chinese movie title - crouching tiger hidden dragon. A peek under the dense cloud of the black diamond shavings revealed the wonderfully fresh fish sliced thinly and anointed with a dash of oil. Its a wonderful combination that I slowly savour every mouthful.





Next it was the pasta dish, similarly decorated with the heavy fall of truffle shavings. It's almost unnoticeable until we push aside the delicate shavings to reveal the strands. I dreamily slurp down the pasta twirls while catching the bits of the black shavings on the side.





Even though Angus beef tenderloin was on the menu, I wanted a lighter option hence they kindly allowed us to switch to a pan seared seabass. It came with an added bonus - a perfectly cooked Hokkaido scallop on the side. The sauce was a little sweet but it balances out the earthy taste of the truffles. I've always loved the seabass here since they do it so well with that crisp pan seared skin.





I get a taste of the beef, which is equally good but just on the heavier side since its also paired with foie gras - triple decadence in one plate I reckon. We round up the wonderful meal with an interesting dessert in the form of truffle ice cream that turned out to be vanilla ice cream topped with truffle shavings. I especially loved the creamy sabayon dotted with fresh fruits on the bottom layer.





After so many shavings of truffle, you can start feeling the room turning upside down. Maybe after that truffle haze has passed, you'll just notice it was ceiling mirrors that give you that effect.





We end with macchiatos and a cappuccino to chase the food coma blues away. It works for a while but some of us had to get some shut eye after such a heavy decadent meal. Priced at RM250 nett per person, it is definitely a must-do especially if you love truffles. Go on...you need to celebrate, just find any excuse like me.

Sage Restaurant

The Gardens Residences
6th Floor, The Gardens
Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 03- 2268 1188


(Pork Free. The winter truffle menu is still available until 31 January, 2011 or until stocks last. For further details about Sage's offerings including what's available for their weekly lunch menu, check their website. The full winter truffle menu is also available.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

16 comments:

WP said...

wow, the truffles look so darn good man..

J said...

LOL. Room spinning? - Truffle induced high ah? :)

minchow said...

Just the familiar lighting of Sage soothes. Getting high on truffles is definitely the best way to get the year started yet! You've outdone yourself Boo! :-)

thule a.k.a leo said...

argh! My mouth's drooling but my teeth ache :P spent a bomb last month at Millesime and also Keith's hospital fee! This month stuck eating bread!

Ciki said...

i like the "world turned upside down" shot. I wish I could truffle OD like that! LOL

Michelle Chin said...

I had the winter truffle menu as well. It was the best truffle themed meal I had so far. :)

Babe_KL said...

wahhhh I would be in 7th Heaven after so much truffles!

foodbin said...

wow! that's a lot of truffle.

Joey Y said...

Now I'm pretty sure it's you I saw on 30th Dec afternoon. I was just sitting at a table near you :) You were there with two fellow friends.

pang said...

i had my decadent cream of porcini soup with shaving winter black truffles on Christmas's eve (lunch).
i guessed, i had d most truffles in one sitting (dining)in my life. As much as ur 'crouching tiger hidden dragon' lor! Looks like i've 2 go 4 d 'mother of all truffle set' haha....

Baby Sumo said...

Looks like they were very generous with the truffle shavings... yum :)

Kenny Mah said...

Oh me, oh my. I swear I haven't seen so many "truffle-d" dishes in one single post before! And them truffle shavings aren't crouching or hidden either - quite boldly announcing their arrival! :D

And excellent suggestion of a food coma remedy (cute clock by the way - did you draw it yourself?) though I've been reminded regularly by my mom and the Devil to reduce my caffeine intake.... Alas! woe is me! :(

Lemonadelime said...

Woops, generous portion of shaved truffles :D

boo_licious said...

Tummy Rumble - it was very decadent!

J - LOL, too many magic mushrooms in one go...

minchow - yes, we were all worshippers in Sage's chapel that day, elevated with the prized fungi.

Leo - awww, am sure the CNY feasting will make up for all that.

C&C - once in a lifetime I reckon to OD on them.

Michelle - glad you liked it. I suddenly remembered to post this after you tweeted abt your meal.

babe_kl - yes, it was a heavenly day with truffles and great company as always.

foodbin - yes! I reckon they drowned our food with truffle but I'm not complaining.

Hi Zoee, happy belated birthday. We saw you snapping pixs but thought let's not disturb you. Hope you had a great time.

Pang - best way to celebrate Xmas and that soup sounds darn yummy!

Baby Sumo - yes, they are. Must admit the truffles are well kept as they're aromatic and slightly soft vs the dried out ones.

Life For Beginners - LOL, clock is from the Picnik stickers selection as I can't draw for peanuts. Coffee is always good I reckon to keep us all awake!

Hi Fui, been to your blog before but could not comment. Hope you make it soon here.

Cherli said...

Hey there, may I know how many courses are there for rm250? :) thanks!

Lemonadelime said...

There was some code problem with the previous layout. Now I changed it, the problem shall be solved :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...