Friday, June 12, 2009

Durian, The King of Fruits @ SS2, Petaling Jaya


gorgeous Mau Sang Wong aka Kunyit aka Musang

There's no denying the King is back! Just sniff the air and you can find the fruit, all of us have a love/hate relationship with. My friend S is currently entertaining her friend A from Sydney and high on her priority list was indulging in some creamy pungent tasting durian. Best place we reckon to satisfy her cravings was in SS2 where overnight, stalls have sprouted up offering various deals on durian, since it is that season of abundance.

1. nice or not??, 2. be careful, it pricks, 3. one way to get rid of smelly fingers - use a metal spoon to eat your durian, 4. weighting the durians

There's a few stalls to choose from (including those that claim you can eat as much as you can for RM10) but we decide on the one which has been around the longest - durianss2. They even have a website with all the different varieties even though it has not been updated for quite some time. Here you select the variety you want and they'll weight it and charge you. Unlike the other stalls, this one seems to be the only one with hanging plants decorating their makeshift tents.

1. half eaten delight, 2. quick, pick one, 3. how to get rid of the smell - wash fingers with water cascading over the durian,4.the busy busy stall

The rules here are simple, just sit down and enjoy your durian. You can ask them to select the different varieties and sit on the plastic tables. Tissue and even water is provided. If you prefer, you can even order coconut water (meant to cool you down since durian is heaty). Sadly they didn't have any Tracka varieties (which my friend wanted) but we had excellent Musang King or Mau Sang Wong that was creamy, thick and fragrant. It is also known as kunyit since it is bright yellow like saffron. Other varieties we had were udang merah (red prawn in Malay) and D96.

While eating the creamy durian flesh is full of pleasure, one problem is the stinky fingers when the smell lingers on and on. One way to get rid of the smell (and nope, it ain't using a spoon to eat your durian! Sacrilege as the best part is feeling the creamy soft texture while you slowly lap it up) is to use the durian after you have eaten it to wash your fingers. Believe me, it works so give it a try! Better go and indulge in some creamy goodness before the season is over. More pictures are in the Flickr set.

Durian SS2 Stall
Near the police station and behind the BHP petrol station
SS2, Petaling Jaya

Tel: 012-2345619

(Pork free. For more details on what he serves, see his website.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with:
+

29 comments:

wmw said...

Which reminds me, what happened to the durian gathering that Teckiee was suppose to organize (a year ago!!!)?

Cindy Khor said...

i miss durians dearly, i wish i could have one now but they don't sell durians here in the uk. and yeah, we do wash our hands using the husk of the durians to cup the water.

Sugar Bean said...

Was this stall here last year? I really miss durian a lot. Actually I don't really mind the stinky fingers, just want to enjoy the durian with my hands. :)

meiyi said...

i liked the first durian pic of yours.
i wonder how it would be like scooping durian with a metal spoon like taking ice cream :)
so *no more smelly fingers*
but i think if i do that in public, i'd get stares from durian lovers. :)

Jean said...

I saw this stall last week when I was in SS2 area..I even saw a banner "eat all you can"..Do they really have durian buffet????

Chefspiration said...

use the durian to wash your fingers? how so?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wow tats a first for me too, washing hands with "durian water".. i was only taught to drink salt water off the durian shell..to "reduce heatiness"

Tummythoz said...

And if drink water added with a bit of salt from the husk will dispel heatiness from eating the durians too!

Does it work? Well, I'm a durian fan & so far in my many overeats, not once did I get fever or sore throat. Yay!

KY said...

I somehow find the "pork free" disclaimer hilarious. LOL

thule a.k.a leo said...

After the durian feast, don't forget to eat mangosteen (as what the elders always tell me)... or else drink more salt water to cool your body :)
I don't eat durian... which is pity, coz my father always get free durian from his friends who own huge orchard near our place.
Mau San Wong is normal species for us here... normally we would collect wild durians and another species which I forgot its name, which are bitter but getting more and more delectable as you gulp down (as told by my father and wife)

foongpc said...

I love durians! Yes I do go to this SS2 stall. And no, I don't want to get rid of the durian smell on my fingers. I want the smell there as long as possible! Haha!

boo_licious said...

wmw - oooooh, where's Teckiee? we want durian crawl next?

Cindy - I've seen them in UK but at crazy prices. Better to come back and eat them.

Sugarbean - this stall has been around for ages per my friend who lives in SS2.

meiyi - u'll definitely get stares! I was fascinated with that lady eating with the metal spoon. Too bad no zoom lense or else I could have gotten a better pix.

Jean - yes, other stalls have the buffet but my friends prefer this one, where it is still be weight. Seems the buffet ones, you need minimum 6 pax.

alexandra - take the husk, let water run through the middle white part and wash with that water. Amazing as there's no smell after that.

Joe - I usually eat mangosteens but they didn't have any!

Thxs for the tip Tummythoz!

KY - LOL, it's quite hilarious too but since it's not tagged as halal, I guess the next best thing is to say it is pork free.

So when r u asking for durian Leo? Those wild ones sound great.

foongpc, I guess you'll be sniffing yr fingers the whole day after eating durian here?

Rebecca Saw said...

LOL! you had me there at the "eating with the meatl spoon" I was like eeggkk?? how to do tht!?
Then i realized it was a joke ;p

Ejoi said...

The D24 clone - for me it is the the best of all durians!

thule a.k.a leo said...

tak boleh tahan bau durian la.. hahaha :) believe me, I'd tried to eat before. The pungent smell is too much for me

worldwindows said...

Thanks for bringing back durianss2. I used to depend on Jusco and Giant for durians on the tray. But their musang not very consistent. Yesterday had 2 nice trays of udang merah from Jusco courtesy from my wife.

Ciki said...

nice but just dont burp:P

Unknown said...

been durian-ing the past days. yes, the air is filled with the nice smelling aroma...! its time for the king to roll! :)

btw love yr pics on yr blog :)

Ohimesama said...

Hi,

Ive been following ur blog for quite sometime.Your blog is just so awesome...absolutely thrilling to watch and read.

im currently abroad so seeing all those deliciousssss food back home made me want to cry.

keep it up!!

eiling lim said...

It looked so fleshy and yummy! God.. I was just talking about Mau sang wong yesterday with some singaporean friends!

foodbin said...

I never like durians 'cos i burp a lot-no mangosteen to cool it off?

Flower said...

I just had durian a last week and it gave me a terrible headache. We can only buy frozen durian. Luckily they brought in some Msian durian to Perth and not just the Thai durian. D24 and the other one Musang something.... In my household, only my girl and me eat durian. Hb and my son cant stand the smell and they are too 'mat salleh' to even try and taste it. Because of that, I can only buy durian when my dear hb is at his work site. He said the smell is too busuk, just like longkang.....

isaac_chia said...

there is this stall in PJ Old Town just opposite the Magnum round the corner also provide some very good quality durians too! They even have the packing service totally FOC which save you all the trouble dumping the shells... check it out!

Unknown said...

I have not had durian before, and am a bit scared of it because of the smell. I never thought of the lingering scent on the fingers after eating it. Oh, thank you for the durian tutorial!

boo_licious said...

thenomad - no joke! If you see the pix of the couple closely, she's doing that. Sorry, no zoom lens with me hence couldn't get a better shot.

Ejoi - oooooh, that is yums also. So many varieties to choose from.

Leo - you're like my bf, he hates durians to the core of his heart as he hates the smell too.

Congrats worldwindows for yr nasi padang being featured in Sunday Metro yesterday. Udang merah is yummy, not so creamy compared to mau sang so can eat more.

LOL ciki!

Quachee - thxs and yes, the aroma in ss2 is nice and pungent there!

Ohimesama - hiya! nice to hear from you and am glad one can help you view Msia's great food.

eiling - you shld take them to eat some too?

foodbin - nope, they didn't have any! so dissapointing.

flower - that's good, at least you get the Msian durians as I remember the Thai ones are the type we get in London and Canada.

Thxs for the tip Kaiba!

Lannae - some like that smell to stay on but it's not practical esp if you work!

Precious Pea said...

Yummy!!! Such a teaser post!! I have been trying hard NOT to have any durians now. With the hot season and the trips coming, can't afford to fall sick..sekali kena quarantined when i arrived at airport with fever. But soo yummy lerrrr...can imagine myself licking the durian bits off my fingers ...smack!

c said...

DONT OVER-PRAISED THE SS2 DURIAN STALLS TOO MUCH. THEIR "RM10 EAT ALL U CAN" IS A REAL CONMAN'S JOB. TOO MUCH DEMAND/CROWD MAKES THEM EXPLOIT MORE ..............

We Love Durian said...

Good news for durian lovers!!!

We will be opening our Durian Festival @ Carrefour Subang Jaya (main entrance) from 27 April 2011 until end of durian season

We will also be having Durian Appreciation Nite whereby you will be able to taste 4 to 5 variety of top branded durian including the famous "mao san wang" in one session. Please email me if you are interested to participate. Our durian expert will answer all your durian questions. Price: not confirmed yet

Email me @ welovedurian@gmail.com if you need more info or visit www.welovedurian.com

Tip Top Durian said...

It's 2020! We'll bring durian to you ! You don't have to wait for someone to peel durian for you, or maybe you have to do it on your own.
Why you choose a frustrating way to have your durian? You can't even measure the posibility of spoiled durian when you are happily bought a
bulk of durian and still need to carry it into your house. With an extensive selection, you could choose your favourite then call us right away!
You could have the fastest way to enjoy durian and don't have to worry for the durian quality anymore! Find out more from https://topduriandelivery.com/ .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...