Monday, April 13, 2009

Hummingbird Cake @ The Daily Grind, Bangsar Village


the star at the moment

It's good to be back home...catching up with friends and indulging in good food, as you can see from this upcoming week's posts. While Italy was pretty exciting, food in general wasn't too fantastic probably because we got fed a little too much risotto for everyone's liking. Nevertheless I got to taste fantastic cheeses, fresh pasta, pizza, cured meats, weird stuff like horse meat and of course, loads of great wine and grappa. I'm still sorting out the pictures and wondering how to blog about my experience there. There's so many pictures I need to spend loads more time to sort all of them.

indulging...

The weekend has been great getting all the errands done and meeting up friends to catch up. Since yesterday was Easter Sunday, we took it leisurely and ended up at Bangsar Village. They had the cutest rabbits for petting which the kids were manhandling, freshly baked hot cross buns and cupcake decorating by D'lish in the foyer and decorating eggs upstairs.

going going gone...

Best of all, we stopped by the Daily Grind for a spot of tea to indulge in their latest cake - the hummingbird cake (RM12 per slice). It may look like a carrot cake but it is made from bananas and pineapples. Really delish stuff - light layers of cake sandwiched with decadent cream cheese frosting and topped with dried pineapple flowers. They also have an equally moist and delicious lemon drizzle cake redolent with tangy lemon flavour.


mr. bunny says hi everyone...

Apologies for the very short post but I am slowly getting back into the hang of blogging. It was quite difficult to blog in Italy as Internet was so expensive in the hotels. By the time, I had free internet, I was too busy to write blog posts. Will also be doing a few backdated posts from previously that I had uploaded earlier on.

The Daily Grind
LG8, Lower Ground Floor
Bangsar Village
1 Jalan Telawi,
1, Bangsar Baru,
Kuala Lumpur

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with:
+

18 comments:

Sugar Bean said...

Happy Easter to you! Just read about Joe's post on Daily Grind and now a dessert from Daily Grind. Seems like a really nice place for food, Hummingbird cake itself is an interesting name for cake. Hope I get the chance to try it one day.

E said...

BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!

J2Kfm said...

will take note of this place, given the humongous burger i saw from Joe's post.

happy belated Easter to you. can't wait to see how your Italy trip turned out!

qwazymonkey said...

Happy Easter and welcome back home. Now, go head for some local hawker grub!

The cake looks yumz. I've always been a fan of the Peanut Butter cake. Indulgent. But will give the lil Hummingbird a try. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Find more Hummingbird Cake in my recipe blog search:
HERE

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Welcome back!

And the cake does look scrumptious...and moist! =)

Julian Si said...

Welcome back ;-) Wah... straight back into an aWards CerEmony eh... so happenin!

Drool ... risotto, I remember one beautiful encounter in Milan, finest Risotto Milanese I have ever had, simple and deadly expensive Eur 25 ! Youch.

worldwindows said...

Nice to see you posting again.

ai wei said...

happy easter!!!

this dessert sounds interesting!!!
after reading on joe's post. now another dessert. made me really wanna hop over for them.

Unknown said...

welcome back boo! cant wait for ur italy post!

thule a.k.a leo said...

enjoy your time there...

Ciki said...

we ate this rite?? it's gooooood:D

CRIZ LAI said...

Huummm... Isn't it a bit expensive for that slice of cake size? By the way, I was wondering why gave such a name to a cake as well. Did you hum after eating? LOL! :P

http://crizfood.com/

Leonard Loh said...

Hi, very fine looking piece of cake. It's pricey but from the way the cake looks, I'm speculating it is all worth it.

LOL I really thought it was a carrot cheese cake from the initial glance. :)

boo_licious said...

hi sugar bean - long time no see you around. Didn't know Joe also blogged abt Daily Grind recently. We tried the new cakes just last week hence I thought I'll blog abt it.

E - LOL, yes I saw them and went awww! In fact I took so many pixs of the kids playing with the bunnies until I got called back for lunch.

j2kfm - pressure pressure! I finally got my act together after working the whole nite to sort out pixs on Italy.

qwazymonkey - LOL, yes eating nasi lemak and everything local I can get my hands on.

thxs rickdog.

Thumbs up to the cake - you must go check it out since it is in yr area, Bangsar-babe.

Jules - risotto in every meal does not make me a happy gal though!

thxs worldwindows, slowly getting back into the blogging mode. Very slowly ok?

ai wei - yeah, lethal combo, burgers and cake!

kampungboycitygal - pressure pressure! Have blogged as everyone seems to want to hear abt Italy.

leo - despite the ups and downs of food, the wine and company made up for it.

ciki - yes, very good. I brought Splashie Boy to try it on Sunday and he was blown away.

criz - usual price for cakes like this though, of course cheaper if you make it yrself. LOL on the humming part. I actually have no idea why they call it a hummingbird cake.

Leonard - yeah, it looks very like one but it is not as dense as a carrot cake.

jesscet said...

so this is the cake that splashie boy was raving about (on FB)! it does look and sound very yummy and not so rich/fattening like other cakes.. mmmmm..

boo_licious said...

jesscet - yeah, he was blown away hence as usual he was FBing away. He has officially taken possession of my 3G phone, hence the constant FBing...

aaron.kjy said...

the rabbit so cute

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...