Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Revisiting Japanese Food @ Tomoe, Subang Jaya



I have been craving for Japanese food for the longest time. In fact, when I was in Italy for 2 weeks, it was the only thing I felt like eating especially after I faced my umpteenth plate of carbo-filled risotto. And you will be surprised, there's actually quite a few Japanese places in Italy that I walked past. Hence last night, after a long day at work wrestling with reluctant vegetables, I was all out for Japanese. It was apt since it was Tuesday - the night when fish is the freshest after their flight from Tokyo. We settled for good old Tomoe. It was my first time dining upstairs, we seem to have been only dining downstairs, which ain't happening at all. What you'll notice around Tomoe are rabbits everywhere - on the hanging decorations, figurines and etc. Seems the owner of Tomoe is born in the year of the rabbit hence the cute little bunnies everywhere. Incidentally, when dining here, do check out their toilets - they have a brilliant sink that I would so love to install in my own bathroom. Definitely will impress the Toilet Queen aka Tummythoz, I reckon.



Back to food (of course that is more important!), since we're both on a regime to eat less especially for dinnertime, it was a very light (but heavy on the pocket) meal. We kicked off with the unfamiliar Nogoguro Sashimi (fresh blue fish, RM65) that was very fresh and delicious, especially with my favourite purple cress. Next was Ike Asaea Sakamushi aka steamed asari clams (RM25), another favourite since I love clams - the soup is so sweet, I can't resist and show bad manners by slurping it down. My clam-love-affair does not end there as our katakuri karashi bitashi (boiled spring vegetables with clams and mustard, RM20) also has sweet clams. We actually thought it will be a little spicy from the mustard used but the taste was bearable. I so wanted the grilled oysters with curry and cheese - sounded so amazing but unfortunately everyone else also thought so, as they sold out that item. We had to instead settle for the mini tomato fry (RM22) - mini tomatos wrapped in beef bacon (no pork here!), coated in panko breadcrumbs and deep fried. Absolutely delish stuff especially if you dip it in the curry powder and salt on the side. To end, it was a plate of cold cha soba (RM18) to share over a wasabi-spring onion filled dipping sauce. Overall, food was good but of course, a little pricey since portions were small. Service was a little spotty though - initially good but sadly, at the end, they messed up our order of cha soba. For more on Tomoe including how to get there, read about my previous visit.

5 comments:

Tan Yee Wei said...

Love this line:
"a long day at work wrestling with reluctant vegetables"

boo_licious said...

well...I had to struggle with 8 types today and the last one was one prickly and bitter vegetable that didn't appeal to me at all. Weird stuff, I do for work!

Tan Yee Wei said...

Suggest you pickle them!

Chefspiration said...

the clams look very nice...will have to try this!

boo_licious said...

Tan Yee Wei - we did to get the bitter juices out!

Alexandra - hope you like this place. Go on Tuesday and Friday for fresh seafood.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...