Thursday, May 15, 2008

Vegetarian food @ Nature's Vegetarian, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur

delish handmade noodles for RM10


A year ago, I decided to work on an index. Sadly I abandoned that as it was too tedious. I'm reviving it again but to kick start my project, I decided to publish what I have categorised so far. Not much, I know but it is a start. It is currently a work in progress, so expect additions to the list, as and when I have the time during the night.


chicken or mushroom - weird hairy looking monkey head mushrooms masquerading as soy sauce chicken (RM18)

Something to tempt you carnivores with. Sadly pictures were taken indoors so quite low light situations again. My mother has been raving about this place to me for some time. A bit weird since my mother is of the belief, Malaysia has no nice vegetarian food (all starch only).


Kar Heong Choy - literally meaning home cooked vegetables, just the way I like it (RM15)


Recently, she has taken to frequenting a reflexology and massage place in Desa Sri Hartamas. Manned by masseurs from China, she told me it is the best, as they are well trained to look for the massage points. Coincidentally, the owner of this place also owns Nature's Vegetarian. Although there is one at Desa Sri Hartamas, the workers recommended the Bangsar outlet instead as more choices are available.


Walk into the restaurant just opposite Alexis Bistro, and it is like you stepped back into the past. Heavy Chinese rosewood tables and chairs are used by the diners while, the walls are decorated with figurines of Chinese folk tales and legends. There is even a small stage in front with a karoke machine, perfect for those who think they are the next Frank Sinatra.

High on the recommendation list was their home made noodles. A bit weird looking with lots of black soy sauce but believe me, these noodles are great with the slight chewy texture. I enjoyed the accompaniements - choy sum and fu chok. Next on the list was the recommended "soy sauce chicken". Instead of the gluten type of food substiutes, they used monkey head mushrooms. The mushrooms can look scary with their long hair but it is delicious, and chunky (like meat) especially with thin slices of fried ginger. Next is the home cooked vegetable dish, fried with cloud ear's fungus, tung fung (thin mungbean vermicelli), carrots, gingko nuts, tofu puffs. Redolent with nam yue (fermented bean curd), it is best eaten piping hot.

Overall, a satisfying meal even though no meat was present. For lunch, they serve dim sum and another popular dish seems to be vegetarian steamboat here, as a few tables for dinner had this item.

Nature's Vegetarian Restaurant
24, Jalan Telawi 3
Bangsar Baru
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 2283 5523

(pork free.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.


Tagged with: +

7 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Looks really good. Don't mind trying vegetarian food for a change since it's not those usual starchy stuff served. Never come across monkey mushroom before...are they available at supermarket?

LianneK said...

thanks Boo! I'm always on the lookout for great vegetarian spot for my parents are long term vegetarians. I dislike all the "fake meat" too so this places sounds heavenly to me as I get to enjoy them too.

Unknown said...

That looks really good! The food looks hearty and delicious, unlike the salad bar vegetarian restaurants! The index is great, seems like a lot of work, but very useful.

boo_licious said...

precious pea - u can get it at supermarkets. Have bought it b4 and cooked, as it is quite meaty.

lianne - hope u like it.

foodhoe - yup, loads of work. I must go back and update entries also!

wmw said...

I like mushroom but have not eaten monkey head mushroom before...sounds too weird and looks like one for me!

m00 said...

hi, just wondering what is the name of the reflexology place in desa sri hartamas?

AugustDiners said...

im going on vege diet for one month, but im not sure whether i can achieve it especially since im such a meat lover, but this restaurant gave me hope! :D *fingers crosseD*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...