Monday, August 27, 2007

Sang Har Meen @ Pan Heong Restaurant, Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur



Let's chase those blues on this dull Monday morning with some scrumptious food. Ever since I discovered this restaurant in Batu Caves, I keep re-visiting it as I absolutely love their Sang Har Meen (Water Prawns Noodles). My family is a great fan of that type of noodles hence I was so excited when I discovered this place.



When I brought my mother here, she was like, "Wow!" this tastes so sinfully good with the eggy gravy and the huge prawns filled with roe. Prices were also more reasonable versus the hiked up ones in town. Best of all was they don't use mee but kuey teow (flat rice noodles) here. It's an excellent combination as it absorbs the sauce better. Another plus point is sometimes when they fry the mee in other places, they tend to re-use the oil to economise and the mee has a slightly unpleasant smell. The minimum order for the noodles is two prawns which they slice into half for the roe to mix with the gravy. The prices are dependent on the weight of the prawns but as a rough guide, our noodles with one jumbo prawn and a slightly smaller one was RM36 that day.


During one of my many visits here, we spied another table eating the Kam Heong Mantis Prawns (RM8) hence we ordered a portion. Very yummy stuff too as the prawns are dipped in batter and fried. It's then coated in the sauce which has spring onions and dried red chilies. Also good is their porridge which is served in a claypot. You can choose what you wish to add into the silky smooth porridge whether it's pork ribs, chopped century eggs, frogs, fish and etc. What is also impressive about this place was I thought I needed to wait a while to get my food during the weekend rush hour (we were there for Saturday lunch). In fact, I brought the newspapers expecting for a long wait but food arrived so quickly I had no chance to even finish reading the local news section. There's also lots of other recommended items so check the other blogs below.

Pan Heong Restaurant
No. 2, Jalan Medan Batu Caves 2
Medan Batu Caves
Batu Caves
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 6187 7430

(Non Halal. Open from 8am to 3.30pm. Their closing days are not certain so call before you go to make sure they're not closed. To get here, drive down Jalan Kuching. Go up the second ramp which leads to Batu Caves, drive towards the Batu Caves area by turning right at traffic light. You will pass by a row of shophouses called the Medan on your left hand side. Make the first left, drive down and make another left turn. You will see a Chinese school known as Kheow Bin on your left hand side and Pan Heong is on the right, the corner shophouse.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Other reviews:

20 comments:

JadeD said...

Love the porridge there but havent tried the sang har meen. About time to make another trip there :)

daphne said...

sang har meen... I think it's your good picture taking skills but the gravy looks rich and smooth. I can almost imagine slurping it up! hahha. (not very ladylike but.. oh well ;p)

boo_licious said...

jaded - I love the porridge too but I seem to be coming back for the noodles instead.

daphne - Can't change rich and smoothness on pictures, only light from Picasa! It's really rich stuff and yummy. Only meant to be eaten once in a while and in small doses. You can always slurp it up with a spoon?

Big Boys Oven said...

This cooked fresh water prawns you had ordered, look so sexy, so tempting, so inviting and feel like having my fingers on them now...... lol

New Kid on the Blog said...

Oooo... those prawns look good man!! Unfortunately I can't have it due to allergy. [sign] I'll give it a pass!!

boo_licious said...

big boys oven - quick, drive to Batu Caves tmrw for lunch to satisfy yr cravings.

new kid on the block - awww, sorry to hear abt yr allergies. Maybe you can try their porridge then which is also very good.

ling239 said...

the prawns look so delicious and the color of the gravy so yummy looking ~ ^_^

Ginger said...

Ooh. I love sang har meen!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I love the sang har meen here. So eggy and tasty! I wonder how many egg yolks go into it?

wmw said...

Need to go to this area again!

boo_licious said...

ling239 - I saw yr lobster mee and was drooling over it. Looks good too. This one is local lobster mee, but they use kuey teow.

ginger - go try some!

LL - better not ask or else one will not eat this anymore as it's so rich. He uses chicken eggs as one time someone said he uses duck eggs.

wmw - shld have sistas outing here one day?

~Christine~Leng said...

OMG.. sang har mee! such huge prawns. I really missed having prawns. Have stopped having them since I've allergy a year ago. sigh.. what a waste!

boo_licious said...

christine - poor thing! Won't taking anti histamine help?

Precious Pea said...

Yumzzz...love this place. Ok, I shall post on my recent trip tomorrow.

Cat Cat said...

boo,
Do you eat your Sang Har Meen with any condiments such as cut cili padi, sambal belachan or cut green cili?
I think they taste good with green cili in soy sauce, no?

boo_licious said...

precious pea - do post the one on the porridge. Yummy stuff.

cat cat - I'm not a fan of the green chilies though as I prefer my noodles plain. I don't think for these noodles they need chilies though as the eggy sauce is good enough.

UnkaLeong said...

My god the prawns look lovely!

boo_licious said...

unkaleong - ah you're back soon so we can always go in one group to try this!

worldwindows said...

I want to bring my son to a nice noodles place for lunch. He can eat and its the holidays for him. Well your previous posts on Pan Heong, Batu Caves deeplinked here looks very promising. Lunch settled!

GPS said...

do u know pan heong have selling Pineapple Tart very good taste

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...