Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Beef Noodles @ Yang Kee, Overseas Union Garden, Kuala Lumpur



Here's another great place for good food - Overseas Union Garden which is just off Old Klang Road. There's always something for everyone and if you wander down their morning market, you can even pick various snacks home. After I read Precious Pea's blog entry on this place, I was drooling over these beef noodles. One day, since I was around this area, I popped by the restaurant. Parking is quite a pain around here though as most people jam up the area to visit the morning market and there are a number of offices here.



I ordered the beef noodles which was served with their thin noodles (RM4.30 for small, RM4.80 for big). The texture of the noodles is really nice - fine strands with a hint of a bite. Suspect these are made from just egg and has no alkaline water (kan sui) in them. Topped with minced beef and pork cooked in dark soy sauce, it was very slurpy. Even the soup filled with a mix of beef slice, beef balls and the cow's stomach was good stuff.



I had planned for a small bowl of noodles as I wanted to try a small portion of the Braised Beef with White Radish (Lobak Ngau Lam - RM4.50 for a small portion), Precious Pea had blogged about. This was very good - filled with tender pieces of beef slices with a melt in the mouth texture and chunks of white radish (lobak) in them. Even the stew was good to the last drop. There's black peppercorns and a hint of spices in the stew and everything is tender even the radish.

If you follow the blog for a while, you would know I'm senstive towards MSG. Sadly my senses started to tingle and I got thirsty quickly after eating these noodles and the braised beef which indicates the presence of MSG. Sigh! So be warned - if you're sensitive towards MSG, avoid this but if you're not, they're really very good beef noodles and braised beef with white radish. They also have another branch in Jalan Peel which is opened at night and is near the coffeeshop opposite Queen's Park.

Restoran Yang Kee
No. 52, Jalan Hujan Rahmat 2
Overseas Union Garden
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 7784 3799

(Non Halal. Open from 8.30 am to 7 pm. Closed on Mondays.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Other reviews:


Tagged with:
+

16 comments:

naturaepretender said...

looks so yummy...

tummy drumming loud...

every time i visit this blog...making me so hungry !

Precious Pea said...

Yah, getting a parking is a real pain. Glad you like this place. I didn't notice about the MSG though, so i guess that explains why the braised beef is soooo good. LOL!

jasmine said...

ah, one of my favourite OUG haunts. love the minced meat and noodles!
i'm quite lucky with parking though, maybe coz i'm normally there after the morning market has packed up.

boo_licious said...

natureapretender - quick, grab a bowl tday!

precious pea - braised beef was very good stuff esp with the slight spices. Sigh! I think next time if I eat again, will do it with lots of chinese tea, coke or kopi-o to get rid of the MSG taste.

jasmine - ah, I always tend to go early since I find if I'm late around this whole area, everything gets jammed up.

myCoffee said...

The kon lo picture looks so yummy. Btw, congrats on your article appearing in Sunday Star. :)

boo_licious said...

thxs mycoffee! Total surprise for me. The noodles are yummy.

Cat Cat said...

boo,
Ahhh beef balls. One of my favourite too.. Actually, I prefer beef balls more than fish balls. Missed those beef balls in Malaysia. They sure looks good.

Big Boys Oven said...

sounds and looks delicious.... MSG hmmmm maybe later.

Silly Meow-Emily said...

Hi, been reading your blog for quite some time and also a fan of preciouspea's blog.
I've been to this place for many many times and its my all time favourite for sat/sun breakfast.
You guys can try to eat only with their sliced beef (sang yuk) and noodle. The sliced beef is so juicy and tender! My bf always take the soup version and it is real good. Guess MSG does help alot and that's why their taste is always consistent as compared to other beef noodles.

wmw said...

Another fave of mine...I have not been to this place. Must go soon! Sistas...when???

Jason said...

That bowl of noodle is really mouth-watering! So, is there any MSG in the noodle too?

boo_licious said...

cat cat - yup, I also prefer beef balls vs fish balls anytime.

big boys oven - can always counteract the effect by drinking lots of chinese tea.

silly meow-emily - the sliced beef is excellent. Tender and I love the braised beef slices. See how marbled it is.

wmw - Let's revisit soon!

ipohwav3 - dunno where they put the MSG though. My tastebuds ain't that sensitive but it's somewhere in the food I ordered.

ling239 said...

sensitive towards MSG? O_o
sorry to hear that...
btw i have a colleague who is allergic to MSG, right after she consumed anything with MSG she will have migraine attack.. so we called her the MSG sensor :p

tanalan2 said...

Hi, been reading yr blog for a while. IMHO the best beef noodle is still in Jalan SIlang, KL. Excuse me for forgetting the name.

sc said...

looks good.and i'm a sucker for beef noodles..*drools*

boo_licious said...

ling239 - wow, she sounds like she really suffers from MSG. Better not take outside food and eat home cooked food as most food outside have MSG.

tanalan2 - the Jalan Silang one is good, also has lots of MSG. That's the one I grew up with.

sc - go try, the braised beef is very nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...