Thursday, August 09, 2007

Dining @ Cocomo Cafe, Damansara Perdana, Petaling Jaya



Mention Cocomo to KL-lites and they'll definitely remember this old place in Bangsar (those of a certain age) rather than the movie where Tom Cruise threw a few bottles in the air. When this cafe was in Bangsar, it was a great place to hang out as it was nice and quiet plus it served great food. Nothing seems to have changed ever since they shifted to Damansara Perdana as the food is just as good. The Spaghetti Calamari (RM16) is my favourite - I usually order this whenever I visit. Tender calamari rings coupled with a tomato sauce that's rich, slightly garlicky and topped with cherry tomatoes.




Splashie Boy's not very adventurous when it comes to food so it's just a plain Turkey Ham and Cheese Sandwich for him that's nicely toasted. I sneaked a bit from him to test the taste and it's good. I especially liked the fries - nice and crispy even though it's just the normal type you get from the freezer.



Besides western meals, they also have laksas here and their Singapore Laksa (RM9.80) is popular. Creamy and slightly tangy, this version comes with thick beehoon strands, juicy prawns, fishballs and sliced fish cake. Really good for those laksa lovers and I love drinking up all the sinful curry broth.

They also serve good cakes here which you can select from their dessert selection. My only complaint is you don't see much of their Cocomo Special (that cake which I love with it's light chocolate mousse texture) at the display section. Parking around this area is quite a nightmare though especially during weekdays. Everyone double parks here so sometimes people get stuck even though they have parked legally.

Cocomo Cafe
Unit LG-03A
Emerald Plaza North
Jalan PJU 8/3A
Damansara Perdana
Petaling Jaya

Tel No: 03- 7710 9942

(Halal. Open from 10 am to 8pm and closed on Sunday. The cafe is at the same row as Friendster cafe.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

22 comments:

Precious Pea said...

I was staring at the Turkey Ham Sandwich for almost 1 minute...how nice i could have it for my breakfast together with a hot cup of kopi-o kau!

The calamari spaghetti looks good too!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

the calamari spaghetti got my stare!..looks uber good!..is this where all the condos are??..

Way said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rarebeet said...

Back in the day *ahem*, the thing my friends and family were most crazy for were their pies. I hardly remember their cakes. Perhaps its time to pay them a visit.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Err...in wat movie did tom throw bottles into the air?

The sandwich just look so so good.Maybe they shud add some greens in btw?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Sigh...I'm that old huh? :-P I remember the pies too..

Cat Cat said...

Hmmm, never had Singapore Laksa before and not sure how good it tastes. Have to try someday!

Jun said...

omg! so cocomo actually din close down after all! i remember feeling so sad for its "demise" cos tht place held quite a lot of memories for me and my mom. all i remember were their choc eclairs-- do they still have it at the new place?

daphne said...

That tomato calamari pasta dish just gave me an idea on dinner plans next week! Thanks!

Lovely Malaysia Food said...

This is a lovely surprise - I thought Cocomo is no more after they close down the bangsar shop. I use to go there a lot. You are right, the Cocomo Special is a lovely cake.

Lovely Malaysia Food said...

Walau. I suddenly remember a lot about Cocomo. Is the person who use to do the diving business still the manager of Cocomo? Is Cocomo still selling the mee siam?

fatboybakes said...

OOOOOH, i used to LOVE their cocomo special....i dunno if i were to have it now, would it command the same kick...i used to love the angel cake house american chocolate cake in my salad days, but now, eugh, wouldnt dream of touching it.

so THIS is where they moved to.

ling239 said...

hello hello ~~
i remember this place too
any idea they still serve the mee Siam?
i love the sambal that goes with it too ^_^

wmw said...

Haven't stepped in since they shifted though I have been in that area. XLB, that movie...Cocktail! I think before your time, hehe!

jesscet said...

So that's where they went! i thought it just closed down. btw, the Tom Cruise movie is called `Cocktail' and `Cocomo' was the song in it.. ;p

so did u have lunch at King Crab the other day? my interviewee brought me to `Basil' at a bungalow at jln damai behind jln ampang! have u been?

boo_licious said...

PPea - Ah, that sandwich was good and he loved it a lot.

Joe - yes at the ground level of the condos. Go try! Very delish.

paprika - no pies though in the menu I think.

xiu long bao - hee hee, he does not like greens so it suits him fine. Usually they don't add greens in toasted sandwiches as it'll get soggy, it's on the side instead.

lemongrass - who say's we're old? We're still "spring chickens"!

cat cat - it's creamier and less spicy. Really good.

jun - I think I saw them! Quick, head there...

daphne - oooh, sounds very yummy what u plan to cook up.

lovely malaysia food - time to visit it I guess?

fbb - yes, sadly our tastebuds change but I do like those jelly sponges Angel Cake House do. So light and the sweetness is just right.

ling239 - am not too sure, why don't u visit it and try?

wmw - so long ago that I forgot the movie title but I can only remember cocomo the song. This is opposite that Winter Sonata place you blogged before.

jesscet - how to eat there after you FFK both of us??? Probably try the week after as MY will away in Indonesia next wk. Heard abt Basil and passed by it when we went to Hajime. Is the food good there?

ling239 said...

plan to when i have time ~
tks... ^_^

MeiyeN said...

new place @ damansara perdana! will try soon.. thanks!

boo_licious said...

ling239 - hope u like it.

meiyen - not really new but they have weird opening times so you need to eat on Sat which may be kinda difficult for you since you work on Sat.

jesscet said...

sorry la..i thought 2 ppl can eat dim sum also mah. it was work and i couldn't not do right? The set we had at basil was surprisingly reasonably price (for the ambiance) and pretty tasty too!

will try to make it next time as i mentioned already.. sigh, so busy lately!

boo_licious said...

jesscet - no problems, will proceed when MY is back from Indonesia. Sorry u can't join us on 21st for dinner at King Crab, never mind, another time.

Dennis said...

Gee thanks for this great news. I was asking and those whom I asked did not seems to know where this cafe went to.
Now I will certainly not miss Cocomo again. Great Sugi & Tiramisu cake and loved the lovely lady behind the counter. Gently mama. Can someone kindly guide me as to how can I get there from Mid Valley. Thanks a mil.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...