Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Chicken Rice Wine Noodles @ Sisters, Restoran One Plus One, Jalan Alor, Kuala Lumpur

yummyness topped with a fluffy fried egg

Yesterday saw me trawling the streets early in the morning, just to run an errand with my mother at the KLSE on Exchange Square. Thinking it will be opened at 8.30am per their website, we got there bright and early but instead the policemen at the counter told us that they ain't a government office and the offices only start work at 9am.

the divine curry laksa with sin sin sin pork rinds

Blessing in disguise as it meant we had time to get some morning sustenance, a rare occasion for me since I never wake up early enough to get any (I start work late about 10am, hence the later times) breakfast as it's always brunch!

pork noodles with the fearful sounding sang cheong (the round bits)

I have been itching to revisit Sisters, one of my favourite stalls on Jalan Alor for their to-die-for chicken rice wine noodles and this time round, I got my wish. Aside from their wonderful tummy warming chicken rice wine soup, they do a version with prawns and my mother discovered, they even sell frogs! Imagine pairing the tender frog meat (a little icky sounding but it's damn tasty ok!) with the rice wine - simply yummylicious stuff that had me drooling at the thought of such a heavenly combination.

the crustacean version of the rice wine noodles

My mother was a little skeptical about the chicken rice wine soup but she fast became a convert after one sip of the broth,. "Hmmmm, it's much better than the other Oriental (Oriental Cravings at 1Utama) place you took me before, " she declared while stealing another spoonful of the aromatic broth. She had ordered the pork noodles - filled with an unusual type of intestine called "sang cheong", which is said to be the small intestines from a female pig. Why do I have a feeling it's probably some fallopian tube thingy since it's gender specific. Anyway, it has a nice crunchy and slight chewy consistency, if you're adventurous. Maybe we should ask Andrew Zimmerman from Bizarre Foods to give it a try one day.


Zimmerman should try this fallopian tubes!

Another winner at the stall now run by one sister and her two sons - their curry laksa topped with sinful pork rinds and the most aromatic sambal belacan on the side. The sambal is so good that I can honestly eat it straight from the container. Yums! The tummy is rumbling as I type that statement.

I reckon my next mission is to wake up early again (without an official excuse) and give that frog and rice wine combination a test run with the tummy and tastebuds. Read about my first experience from a
previous blog post.

Sisters Noodles
Restoran One Plus One
Jalan Alor
Kuala Lumpur

(Non Halal. Open from 8am onwards until lunch time. Closed on Mondays. At the same block of buildings to Wong Ah Wah's famous chookie wings.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with:

19 comments:

Sherry said...

"sang cheong" is the fallopian tube. yum yum :-)

Ciki said...

sister noodles.. and then cheong noodles! mmmm.. love the last shot and yes, damn lucky the EH was closed.. what a great bfast:)

J said...

Sang cheong is WHAT? Eeeeeee....
O_o <-- *J has completely lost her "everything also eat" Chinese roots evidently*

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

dis place used to b a breakfast place long long time ago when i was a kid, havent been back since i was probably 12.

thule a.k.a leo said...

I got to know this place from Food Guide Book... but due to its notorious traffic jam, I seldom go to Jalan Alor and its surrounding area!! Unless for weekends but I'd rather stay in PJ

Ellen Whyte said...

Ew that's a bit too specific!

fatboybakes said...

WHAT??? sang cheong is really fallopian tube ah?
I love this noodle place.

Extreme Power said...

whoa... super nice....

qwazymonkey said...

Which rock have I been hiding under? I've never even heard of this place before! I feel damn jakun. Then again, not a big fan of rice wine chicken noodles. Would love to try the curry noodles and that shot of the crustacean noodles is so beautiful!

ailsa said...

"Sang cheong" is the uterus. The pig's uterus is tube-like because a mama pig gives birth to 8-12 piglets at a time.

KY said...

uterus? I EAT ONLY!

foodbin said...

ailsa is correct-sang cheong is the uterus of the female pig-a rare delicacy as most slaughtered pigs are castrated male pigs.

Precious Pea said...

Aiyooo..such torturing sights!!! I want i want!! Look at that bowl of curry laksa!!!!

lainieyeoh said...

yeah sang cheong is fallopian tubes. kong heng/yip heng do a nice satay version of it in ipoh

wanderlust said...

It is indeed a fantastic place to have breakfast. Normally order a portion of the mouth watering dry noodles with char siew bits with the Chicken Rice Wine (without chicken but various parts of Oink Oink). I like to add the fried egg too, but it can be a bit oily. The Curry Laksa is to die for!!

Have been going for years when they were further up Alor and have not been as often as I would like to.

UnkaLeong said...

OMG! I am so going there for breakfast when I'm next in the area. Fallopian tubes or uterus, dem Sang Cheong looks good to me :P

Kenny Mah said...

Cool beans. Devil loves his chicken rice wine noodles but haven't found really nice ones around - now I know where to bring him..

And I like the addition of the fried egg on top, just like the way my Grandma used to make it. :)

女飞侠 said...

i purposely motorbike there yesterday...found it and tried the "rice wine noodle prawns"

all i wanna say is, it was so GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!

thanks boo_licious! ^^

Unknown said...

and again backpack this louis vuitton replica bag to yield bus, walking to go to plan or go home. Watching from the bus window that accept lots of bead, the lamplight in the artery is ablaze and colorful. monogram handbags chain boutique locates on the Henglong Square that beside the street. A At this time, a woman is beguiled with a wallets lv new bag that costs 16000 yuan (2350 us dollars) and is paying the bill with her coffer agenda in the additional attic of the shop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...