Monday, July 11, 2011

Les Deux Garcons @ Desa Business Park, Kuala Lumpur

IMG_1955


"I've got chills, they're multiplying," sang John Travolta in Grease's You're The One That I Want.

I often feel that way whenever I blog about a place I love - that thrill (and chills) of sharing a close secret of how good the place is. While I realise not everything I like appeals to the general public (I tend to have weird tastes unlike an average Malaysian), it still excites me to share it. And yes, it's about macarons - again! (there goes the chorus of groans).



les deux


I first read about this place from Hungry Female. She raved about their truffle macarons that I decided it worthy to make it to the list of places to check out. Hence one day, I decided to seize the opportunity to take a drive to Taman Desa to check it out.


IMG_1942


I got a little lost trying to figure my way around Taman Desa. It didn't help someone threw me a red herring that led me to Ficelle at Taman Danau Desa instead. I pushed on and found it at the Desa Business Park near the fire station.


It's hard to spot the place since there's no signboard but luckily I matched it to their frontage pictures from the Facebook. I wanted to shout Bingo when I discovered the place.


les deux1


The shoplot houses a pristine white and stainless steel outfitted bakery where they work on the cakes and macarons. Don't expect a showcase of cakes or macarons though since everything is kept away.


While the cakes need to be pre-ordered (read their website for details), the macarons are available on a daily basis depending on what is available. I suspect truffle is by order so maybe one day I'll get my grubby hands on those delectable gems.


IMG_1912


Nevertheless my haul of macarons for that surprise visit was pretty decent. I liked how they were packaged them in nifty black boxes that give the colourful gems a look akin to an eyeshadow box. Eat your heart out MAC cosmetics!


When you discover awesome macarons, the best thing is to share them. I brought them over to my equally macaron crazy friend CS so she could give me her opinion straightaway. 


IMG_1959


That afternoon, we had a special tea party among stacks of legal brown files and tasted almost all of the macarons with her colleague J. Copious cups of coffee and Korean millet tea were also provided. 


Our impromtu macaron tea party saw us going oooh and aah over their superb wasabi flavour (beautifully balanced with just a hint of horseradish to make it less sweet), lemon vanilla (another winner with a vanilla grey shell and not overly tangy lemon ganache), passionfruit (who said yellow is bad!?), pistachio (sigh!) and green olive (a little faint).


We also sampled other flavours like caramel, strawberry, peanut butter and dark chocolate. They're pretty good but not as mind blowing as the winners list.


Each perfectly formed macaron has a light and well balanced flavour. They're also not so sweet with a wonderful soft crunch once bitten into. These exquisite gems may probably be the best ones in town at the moment.


Seems the owner Yeong trained in Bangkok in a pastry kitchen. I'm also itching to try their cakes including their marble buttercake and the French gateaux. If they lavish the same love on their cakes like their macarons, I reckon they're winners. Incidentally they have a wicked sense of humour in identifying their macarons. For instance, the ones with a white shell and a green ganache filling is pistachio to resemble the nut while dark chocolate has a yellow shell that resembles a ripe cocoa pod.


Macarons are priced at RM78 for a box of 12 various flavours. For more information of their prices and how to order see their website.


Les Deux Garcons
16, Jalan 2/109E
Desa Business Park
Taman Desa
Kuala Lumpur


Tel: 03-7980 0200


(Pork Free. Open from 9.30am to 6pm from Tuesday to Sunday. Cakes must be pre-ordered vide their website or see their facebook page. They also do delivery but you need to check with them where they deliver. Call ahead to check availability of flavours and macarons. For more pictures, see my Flickr set.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

19 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

What pretty colors!

eiling lim said...

you are making me drool with your macaron pictures. They looked perfect and cute.

Ciki said...

like i said, throw a pebble these days, and u will find someone cuddling a macaron;)

JoinMe.com.my said...

Hi boo_licious,
Kindly be informed that this post has been reprinted on JoinMe.com.my, thanks.
P/S: We have put your name and link credit back to this article.

Ellen Whyte said...

Yum! Your obsession with macaroons is making me hungry :-)

Pureglutton said...

Wow, what pretty macarons! I'm no fan of them but I enjoy looking at your pics of them - beautiful!

boo_licious said...

Baby Sumo - pretty and great tasting too!

eiling - LOL. I seem to have an affinity for pretty stuff esp these divine macarons. Hope u get to taste them one day.

C&C - yeah, thery're everywhere rite? But it's hard to sieve through the pile to get really good ones. Give these a try and you'll be blown away. At least no need to wait for the London and HK shipments of Pierre Herme ones.

Thxs 24mall.

Au&Target - I'm making myself hungry too!

Pureglutton - yeah, macarons are not everyone's cup of tea!

boo_licious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hungry Female said...

Yay! I'm glad you tried them and enjoyed! Aren't they exquisite? If you go back to try the truffle one, let me know too:) Shu xx

ai wei said...

they are really pretty! and especially the box too, love the way u described it as eyeshadow box! haha

Jun said...

i love macarons too and those look gorgeous! but RM78 for a dozen?? is that the average msian prices now?? that's shockers.

AugustDiners said...

If there's anything i like about macaroons, its those lovely colours! so visually appealing!

Eat Only Lar! said...

Wow, wasabi flavoured macarons sounds interesting, haven't heard of it before! Would want to try their passion fruit and pistachio macarons, they're my favourite macarons! =)

Anonymous said...

Wow somebody bring me some of those macarons.I am imagining being there.Its a beautiful city and unfortunately I am theer only very short.Great post:)

J2Kfm said...

No, Boo. You don't have weird cravings.

Good post, though geez ... I don't even know how to pronounce their name.

Rebecca Saw said...

Time to drag PA here w me! :)

Kenny Mah said...

This is like at my taman, man! Mesti lah pegi try! :)

Ronald Vaughn said...

If only you even now are suspicious on the subject of teaspoon to tablespoon, why not check out teaspoons in a tablespoon right away for teaspoons in a tablespoon seems the finest of its kind

Unknown said...

Great post, I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. Thanks for sharing this useful information.
Business funding dorset
Business funding bournemouth
Pensions bournemouth
Marketing consultant Dorset
Online Marketingdorset
Advertising services dorset
Sell my business dorset
Business transfer dorset

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...