Friday, October 02, 2009

Robson Heights Food - Luscious prawns and crabs, crispy roti canai and hot nasi lemak

a little fiery sambal goes a long way

This post is dedicated to Su-Yin from The Journal of a Girl Who Loves to Cook. Without her little tips during a dinner we had sometime back, I reckon I would not have discovered the hidden treasures of Robson Heights, a place close to her heart. Thanks Su-Yin, you're the greatest!



1. All ready to eat 2. freshly fried chicken makes my nasi lemak not so dull

I'm not much of a supper gal but last night, since I had only nibbled my way through the MIGF = Malaysian International Gourmet Festival infamous gala launch (imagine 24 restaurants offering teeny weeny bites of their festival menu offerings in one grand ballroom!) my tummy was in need for some sustenance. Since I was escaping town vide Federal Highway, I suddenly remembered this place just off the highway. As it was packed with people, I was a little hesistant to sit down (I was in formal clothes and looked very out of place in a wooden shack!) but the lady insisted I do. Luckily I did as the nasi lemak (RM4 with chicken) was gorgeous eaten piping hot - I loved the fluffy coconut-rich rice, the not so spicy deep red sambal and the crispy fried chicken fresh from the hot oil. All the patrons' eyes were glued to the television's wrestling match that they didn't seem to bother that I stood out like a sore thumb.


healthy roti canai

Right next to this place, that also served nasi goreng and sup tulang is Restoran SPC that sells roti canai. We dropped by one morning and was pleasantly surprised as the roti canai is pretty good here. What makes it distinctive from the others - very little oil or ghee is used even though it was crisp.


the bill comes in a small piece of recycled cigarette carton

They seem to be open at night too but I didn't manage to check if they were selling the same items since it was pouring down. Nevertheless, it looked very popular for breakfast with quite a few customers reaching for their fried noodles for a quick meal.


the tummy satisfying sang har meen

Last but not least, just up the road from these places past Thean Hou temple and an Indian temple, is Robson Heights seafood perched on a slope. This place has been blogged to death, I reckon and it is an all-time favourite for all of us. While these pictures are not new, they're so droolworthy, I reckon they should be used.


1. Sticky marmite crabs begging to be licked, 2. huge prawns with creamy roes

The last time we dined here with Su-Yin, she led us to more favourites to add on to the list like the crispy eggplant with pork floss, the claypot crab rice (love the aroma and browned bits at the bottom) and the 3 cup chicken. Simply delelectable, indeed! More pictures can be found in my Flickr set.

Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang
Lorong Syed Putra Kiri
Off Federal Highway, after Kuen Cheng School
Kuala Lumpur

Halal. Open daily from 4pm to 2am. Stall also sells nasi goreng and sup tulang.

Restoran SPC
Lorong Syed Putra Kiri
Off Jalan Federal Highway, after Kuen Cheng School
Kuala Lumpur.

Halal. Open from mornings. Also available during dinnertime.

Restoran Robson Heights
108, Jalan Permai
Off Jalan Syed Putra
Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03- 22746216

Non Halal. Place is parallel to Federal Highway. To get here, go up the Brickfields ramp on the highway, turn right at traffic lights, go straight and take a left at first traffic lights. Go straight, do not turn left back to the highway, you will see the restaurant on your right hand side.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with:
+

13 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Aiyoooo....so early morning I kena tortured oledi....thanks to you, now I wish I have a cup of teh tarik and roti canai for breakfast, followed by a packet of nasi lemak bungkus!! Sigh...am chomping on my ham n cheese sandwich while gazing at your yummy pictures.

qwazymonkey said...

It's time for a nice breakfast! Yea, Su recommended this place over dinner last time. Totally forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

And that claypot crab rice thingy was so so so so good.

boo_licious said...

Precious Pea - can make yr own nasi lemak bungkus already since I gave you the recipe!

Qwazymonkey - yeah, Su's definitely the best as her recommendations were all top notch!

thule a.k.a leo said...

does the nasi lemak place open for breakfast or lunch??? I have stopped supper for the longest time and don't want to break the rule :)
I agree that Robson Heights whip out delicious food but a tad overpriced... guess it's the location that matters!

Unknown said...

oh yeah, loved how she animated-ly showed her fascination with the nasi lemak and the roti canai!

guess what? i went to Thean Hou Temple at the end of the month, few weeks after. and only realised its soooo darn near to Robson heights. aiks ....

waisekmeow said...

Restaurant SPC ?? Nearby Siu SIu ??
Hmm..the prawn noodle look very tasty lol !!! SO how would you compare it to likes of Green View or Soo Kee ??

Rebecca Saw said...

Crispy roti canai minus the oiliness??
sounds like my kinda of place!!

Flower said...

Oh wow, look at the sambal. So fiery n red. I can feel my tongue burning. Wishing very hard that I can really taste the nasi lemak though.

Unknown said...

just the sambal and white rice is good enough for me! hehe

boo_licious said...

leo - it starts in the late afternoon so I guess u can do dinner? Yeah, Robson's prices for seafood is not as cheap vs Klang but guess it is all location.

j2kfm - yup, Su's picks are so personal and good. Glad she shared them with all of us. Yeah, the temple is just up the hill and there's also an Indian one near Robson Heights restaurant.

waisekmeow - they're both b4 Siu Siu. The noodles are very good, better than Soo Kee but still not as good as Green View.

nomadgourmand - not as crisp compared to Valentine but what amazed me was how little oil it has.

Flower - it was fantastic esp with a little drizzle in the sky. Heavenly stuff with all the aromatic rice and spicy sambal staining the white grains red.

Brad - yup, pure comfort on a plate!

Jenny Tan said...

OMG, I'm looking at the nasi lemak and roti and drooling!!! Makes me miss home so much!

Ciki said...

i read this post on FB. I dunno why, but it made me LOL, coz so honest! true la.. we spend half our lives going for hoity toity parties and events but end up more hungry than ever..;) I can picture the girl hiking up her lil black dress and stilettos and going on this food hunt/rampage across Taman Siputeh..! It's really indie.. really cool:) Should make a movie.

boo_licious said...

Jenny - hope u get yr nasi lemak & roti canai fix.

C&C - well, quite true since "portions" are small in gourmet places but big in flavour. sadly they don't fill tummies, which is what matters most.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...