Saturday, October 03, 2009

Happy Mid Autumn Festival - Jelly Mooncakes


the colourful jelly mooncakes

This will be the last of my mooncake posts, something very dear to my heart as I used to make loads of these jelly mooncakes. They may look simple but believe me, a lot of work goes into one mooncake. You have to make sure the right agar agar powder is used (don't use those ones from the bakeshops but this Thai one that gives a crunchy feel vs a soft bite), your "yolks" are placed properly and the fridge is cold enough to keep all this.


1. yam mooncakes, 2. cendol gula melaka, 3. red bean and sweetcorn in the background

This year, I sampled Debbie Teoh (Call 012-2200537 to order and pick up)'s mooncakes for the first time. It is her recipes that I used to read religiously to make my jelly mooncakes and believe me, her versions are so incredibly good (puts mine to shame). Unlike ordering them by flavour, you order them in a box of 4 flavours. She has two boxes - box one contains red beans, cendol gula melaka, sweet corn and yam/lotus while the other tutti fruitti version is dragon fruit, coffee cheese, mango and green tea. Each box costs RM30. I loved the fluffy texture of the redbean and sweetcorn version and the firm texture of the cendol and yam versions. Best part of jelly mooncakes, they're less sweet tasting (probably from the time spent in the fridge) and very refreshing that you finish them in a few minutes.

Happy Mid Autumn Festival everyone and enjoy the festivities tonight!

12 comments:

Rebecca Saw said...

oohh...does she still takes orders now tht its past the 15th of the month?

boo_licious said...

thenomadgourmand - yup, she still does, I think for a short period but best u double check with her.

Sngtey said...

Pity I no longer live in Malaysia! Thanks for your blog. Pure nostalgia!

boo_licious said...

sngtey - glad that I could help invoke those memories for you!

ai wei said...

happy mid autumn festival!!!

Unknown said...

jelly mooncakes are the best. not overly sweet, refreshing, and you can down one whole to yourself, without feeling any pinch of guilt. =P
ok maybe a little.

boo_licious said...

Happy Mid Autumn Festival Ai Wei!

j2kfm - yeah, it feels less guilty I guess since it is so cold that you don't taste the actual amt of sugar! I love them too.

Precious Pea said...

I am sure I would like the Cendol jelly!

Marirama's Star said...

hmm..this is drooling lah...

Ciki said...

i thot u sed that was ur last, was ur last, was ur last mooncake post? LOL. erm.. I don't mind! keep posting:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
boo_licious said...

precious pea - very delish stuff, which I finished quickly.

Marirama's star - very yummy stuff.

C&C - definitely the last post but I still have mooncakes in the fridge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...