Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mushroom Steak

Sorry, no nifty title for this and I thought since it looks like a mountain of mushrooms on top of carrots, I better clarify that there is some steak underneath that mountain. You can see a bit of the steak peeking out from one end. Based on this picture, you can definitely tell that I love my fungi. I always have some kind of mushroom in my fridge or larder whether it's oyster, shitake, enoki, button, portobello, dried Chinese mushrooms, dried porcini and canned mushrooms. The mix below was some white button and fresh shitake mushrooms I had in my fridge.

You notice the carrots, they are shredded with my vegetable peeler to look like noodles. Extremely easy to make and fantastic for me as I am hopeless in cutting up things. I usually just boil them in some water and you can toss them in any sauce you like. Think of it as carrot noodles or pasta and pair it with whether sauce you like.

The mushroom sauce that goes with this steak is like a beef stroganoff except the beef steak is not sliced up. Recipe is from Jill Dupleix's Simple Food, I really like her style - simplest way to make things and very few ingredients. She has another cookbook that just incorporates three main ingredients called Take Three, that is super handy especially if you just cook occasionally and don't want to stock up your fridge and larder.

Steak with mushrooms (Serves 4)

1 onion, peeled
500g mushrooms
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
125 ml white wine or beef stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sweet paprika
4 rump steaks around 200g each, abt 2.5 cm thick
3 tbsp sour cream or creme fraiche
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp tomato puree

Cut onion in half and slice thinly. Wipe mushrooms, discard stalk and slice finely. Melt butter and olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and gently cook your onion for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add white wine or beef stock, sea salt, black pepper and paprika and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Heat another pan and brush steaks with olive oil and cook on one side for about two minutes. Turn and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium rare. Season with salt and leave to rest in a warm place or covered with foil. Add sour cream or creme fraiche, mustard, tomatopuree and if you have some parsley, add it to the mushrooms and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Place steaks on plate and spoon mushroom mixture on top.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...