Thursday, June 30, 2005

MEME - ThE CooK NeXt DooR

I had been earlier tagged by Lilian of Penang Faces to answer my first Meme and boy, aren't these questions tough hence I procrastinated on answering them!

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

I was a late starter in cooking and I only got started as I did not want to die from hunger. My first memory of cooking is making cheese sauce for my pasta in my first year in university. I was taught how to make it from a roux by sweet Caroline of Botswana so I would not starve to death.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

I credit both my parents; my mother, the cook and my dad, the foodie. When I was young I remember my mother going for baking and cooking classes to learn new things all the time. She is a real legend in baking and people always demand her ever light and fluffy chiffon cake. She is a real perfectionist as I still remember how she practised so hard to get it right and since then she has always made a perfect chiffon cake. With my dad, he would always sniff out good food wherever he went in the world. He dragged me to so many markets and dingy stalls just to sample great food.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

Sorry no photos of me cooking as I don't think anyone has taken one of me before in the act!
Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Splashie Boy's mother's signature nasi lemak. He credits his mother's nasi lemak as the best in town so I doubt I will ever be able to make the sambal the way he likes it.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest let down?

Okay, I know it ain't a kitchen gadget but I love my wok and really can't think of life without it. It's so multi versatile as I use it for stir frying, deep frying and steaming since I don't have a special steamer. My biggest let down are those hand held graters. I can't seem to get one that gives me nice fluffy grated parmesan cheese like Jamie Oliver!

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!

Okay, I have a sweet tooth and I find funny things to sprinkle sugar on; my toast which got me a lot of stares in England during breakfast and even my chinese dumplings. My Mauritian friend is worst than me, she used to dump six packets of sugar in her coffee and her excuse is she is helping Mauritius' economy since they produce sugar!

Another thing I like to eat is kerabu chicken leg skins! Strange stuff as it's gelatinous, crunchy and all spiced up with the thai herbs.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without?

I love my vegetables and I really can't do without my tomatoes, mushrooms in all varieties and pumpkin.

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer?

Not that I can think of.

Three quickies:

Your favorite ice-cream… : Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (yummy chunks of choc chip dough treasures that I dig out to enjoy)

You will probably never eat… : Dogs, cats, snakes, monkeys and any other animal that I consider to be a pet. I once refused to eat a chicken as I played with it once and my mother was so annoyed with me.

Your own signature dish… : No idea which one am I famous for as I cook anything I can get my hands on.

Who do you want most to cook you dinner? : Splashie Boy as he so rarely cooks for me. Once he did rustle up some El Paso tacos for my Valentine's dinner.

Three people to tag:

Okay, this part really stumped me for the longest time as honestly I don't know many foodie bloggers as I am totally new to this. Morevover the ones I know or have been leaving comments in their blogs have already been tagged. Anyway, I came up with my friends as I am sure they do cook even though they deny it:

Jess from Two J's - She does do some cooking besides looking after her two cutie pies.

Drew from Tiny Thinks and Tiny Thoughts - I know you do cook as you keep talking about trying my recipes. Time to share what you're cooking up in Singapore. Gross stories about your fetish for boiled luncheon meat, porridge and your famous air sick bag story are acceptable.

Shagen and Vera from New Zealand at last - Not sure about Shagen but Vera definitely cooks as I have tasted her food before in KL. Time to spill to us how cooking in New Zealand is different from Malaysia.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...