Friday, October 14, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 14 - The Clear One (Elderflower, Strawberry and Mint Jelly)

IMG_5755

If I don't work with jelly, I get little anxiety attacks.

While I can experiment with new fangled ideas, there's a niggling thought at the back of my brain that I should be championing jelly.


Hence this particular jelly that came about as a "throw together in the fridge" version.


I often find my good ideas unraveling after mid-week, hence the best intentions are never fulfilled.


IMG_5741


Being short of a few items for the next planned jelly meant I needed an emergency one.


Hence I went through the fridge and emerged with this concoction - the base is elderflower jelly from an au naturel elderflower drink I love from O Gourmet (thanks to my friend CS who introduced me to it). Then as usual I raid my mini herb garden and emerged with lots of tiny mint leaves. Then there's some almost dying strawberries that I salvage to make this very pretty masterpiece of red and green.
IMG_5734 


Believe me, this can also be known as the Throw Together jelly since it's a mish-mash of everything.


In terms of taste, it's not fantastic but I do love the cold elderflower jelly, a great idea to enjoy my favourite drink.


Elderflower, Strawberry, Mint Jelly


450ml elderflower drink
2 tablespoons gelatine powder
mint leaves
strawberries, cleaned, stalk removed and halved


Place gelatine powder with some water to allow it to bloom. Heat elderflower drink; add gelatine powder and melt. Pour into a measuring jug. Place mint leaves and strawberries in mould. Pour a little elderflower jelly into mould. Fridge till set. Repeat with mint, strawberries and elderflower jelly until it reaches to the top. Chill for 4 to 5 hours. Unmould by dipping moulds into hot water. Place plate at the bottom. Tilt to unmould. serve chilled.


Reminder: Support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association. Also, do remember to submit your suggestions to booliciouskl@gmail.com or leave a comment for the mould to win the Olympus camera VG-110. For more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. To view, all the jellies, see this link to the Royal Selangor website

11 comments:

Sara said...

Gorgeous! I love the fruit and mint suspended in the jelly! :)

cacamarba said...

agreed wit sara..nice..

mycookinghut said...

Lovely looking jelly!

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Some great inventions like buffalo wings have come about from using leftovers or what's was available at the time. I love the christmassy red and green colours :)

Michelle Chin said...

Okay... the fact that you can plant strawberries in the first place is amazing....

Baby Sumo said...

I love elderflower drink.. used to drink it a lot in UK... and the combination with mint and strawberries sounds very refreshing.

Ellen Whyte said...

I think you need your own TV show...

ninazsyafinaz said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! and Beautiful!!

eiling lim said...

this is so beautiful!!!

Kenny Mah said...

Certainly looks refreshing, dear. :)

Sokehah cheah said...

To me, this is very original, mint jelly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...