Sunday, June 24, 2012

Butter Cake @ Section 17, Petaling Jaya

IMG_9736
butter cake from Section 17


I have been slowly exploring Section 17's food joints and one day, I stumbled on this discovery, a drinks stall that also sold homemade butter cake by special order.


Spurred on by some regular customers who had sampled the cake before, I decided to take a risk and order it to try.




IMG_9742
butter cake unassembled


Each block was sold for RM10.


I loved the cake's soft moist crumb. Very old fashioned with a bright yellow colour.


While the texture was top class, admittedly it fell short in the aroma department. Not buttery enough with a slight artificial tinge I felt, so maybe they used butter spreads instead of actual butter.


Butter cake from OUG Market
butter cake from OUG market


Coincidentally, a friend of mine had bought butter cake from the OUG market (1 box is RM8). While that cake has a strong distinctive buttery smell, the texture is rather firm with a fine tight crumb.


Even though I preferred that OUG version for its taste, in comparison I found it a little too hard versus the other cake that had such a moist loose crumb.


 Untitled


Too bad, I can't get the best of both worlds - the moist crumb from the Section 17 place and a lovely buttery aroma from the OUG market one. I guess I should really just bake my own.


Despite the not so aromatic taste, we did enjoy the cake with maple flavoured ice cream made from rich Hokkaido cream. Simply oishii when paired with the cold treat. 


Butter Cake
corner drinks stall (see sign above for shop)
Jalan 17/1A Foodcourt
Next to the Section 17 wet market
Petaling Jaya


(Pork free. One cake is RM10. Prior order is needed. Click on this link for the full set of Flickr pictures.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

10 comments:

devilck said...

Yes yes, please bake your own butter cake, and give us some slices, hehehe. :P

Mui Yen said...

Oh, do hunt for the best butter cake in town and share that with us :)

My family did like one that came from AmCorp Mall. I forget the name of the bakery, but there's a stall on the ground floor not too far away from the down-escalator.

Ciki said...

the section 17 market place one (young guy outside coffeeshop) is the bomb! Only RM5 for a huge slab. It might not be pure butter but it's really tasty and it's so cheap. That's our secret place for butter cake! haha :P

Michelle Chin said...

bake your own and then post up the recipe. :D

The Yum List said...

Your pics have taken butter cake to a whole new level. Lovely.

ai wei said...

looking decent!
do share your best find of buttery cake with us!

Ellen Whyte said...

So simple and yet so delish. yum.

Anonymous said...

Fuh.. I like the butter cake at OUG too! It's really aromatic and nice. Anyway, since my mom loves butter cake and I don't live near OUG, I decided to bake on my own. Probably one of the easiest recipe to date! Got it from Rasa Malaysia!

Enqvist said...

i like your photography skill so much. it is awesome.



Taste...iest

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...