Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Banana Leaf Rice @ Devi's Corner, Bangsar

IMG_7549

Too much Chinese food with all the celebrations?


How about a little spice, rice and a real banana leaf to entice you to carbo heaven?


I was rather surprised the other day when someone told me they had the best ever banana leaf rice at Devi's Corner.




IMG_7536


Hence one lazy weekend, I decided to take the risk...and descended into food coma brought on by the excessive rice, meat and vegetables consumed in one go.


Located on the upstairs section, obviously everyone else in town was in the know versus moi since the place was packed to the brim.


We slot ourselves in between families waiting to be served. Service is a tad slow but we get going with our "real" banana leaf (no fake paper stuff as served in Kanna Curry House).


IMG_7542




Plop comes the piping hot white rice...shaped in a carbo mountain with a snowy peak.


Next the vegetables and condiments.. it all goes down and the other half whispers to me..."they serve five items here instead of the usual three."


I nod in slow agreement as I notice this place definitely does not stint on portions as my cucumbers in yoghurt, deep-fried bittergourd, curry vegetables and etc could have kept my tummy happy for the whole weekend.




IMG_7541




Then came the curries - dhals, chicken, fish and who can resist, the crab one that I relished each rich coconut milk laden spoonful of it with my rice.


They also had mutton curry, which must be highly sought after as the Indian family of five boys next to me were all ordering this.


Hmmm...next time I must order the mutton I made a mental note to myself.


IMG_7538




We add fried chicken called Chicken 65 or was it 69?


God knows what it's real number but who cares since it's tender and delicious with a reddish coating.


Equally good was the deep fried sotong glistening with a yellow tinge from the heavy hand of turmeric and their scattering of curry leaves.


The jaws get cracking on the crunchy pappadums and they even gave us dessert - multi coloured bhindi, fried dough bits that look like tiny teardrops.


One can't help but rub the tummy in satisfaction as the spices gently burn inside.


Ahhh...such satisfaction as you amble down the stairs and into an afternoon nap at home.


This is truly the best way to enjoy a lazy Malaysian weekend.


Devi's Corner
14 Jalan Telawi 4
Bangsar


Tel: 03-2282 7591


(Halal. Banana leaf rice is available during lunchtime and upstairs. For more pictures, see my Flickr set.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

15 comments:

Michelle Chin said...

Is this better than nirvana's? :D Have to make a mental note to tell my parents about this if this is really good.

boo_licious said...

Michelle - very much better than Nirvana. Portions are huge and hefty with a wham of spices but beware, you will end up having massive food coma.

Chaokar said...

chicken 65 Boo! :) i remember its a 65 days old chicken, hence tasting tender and all.

Yumz. gonna give Nirvana some competition.

boo_licious said...

Chaokar - hahahaha, Chicken 69 sounds more "ahem"...Thanks for the explaination. It's good stuff, as they are generous with their portions and spices.

The Yum List said...

I was just around there on the weekend and went for Nirvana instead of Devi's. Now that I read your post I will have to make the trip back over to give banana leaf a go a Devi's. It's best to eat up right, like drinking up?

Kenny Mah said...

Chicken 69 does sound more "ahem"... makes me wanna have some now. Ahem.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Looks like they've bucked up. I had a horrible experience a few years ago and never went back.

Good to know that portions are hearty. Am considering switching from Nirvana as the service is dreadful and portions are shrinking.

Ciki said...

I guess you got hit with a 69:P

Ellen Whyte said...

Boo, I have no idea how you avoid being circular, really. I envy you your job too AND your camera work. Hey, we must meet soon. You pick a venue :-)

UnkaLeong said...

Kong Hee Fatt Choy! One of the few places that was open over the CNY. One little boy I know lamented, "Not McD's again!" ROFL ;)

boo_licious said...

The Yum List - ah, give devi a try the next time you are in Bangsar. But portions are very hefty so be prepped up to sleep the afternoon off...

Kenny - u want chicken or the number ah?? ahem ahem

Bangsar Babe - Yes, I saw your old review where you was not incredibly impressed. Hope it will meet your approval the next time.

cumi & ciki - yup, hit and loved it...hahaha

Au & Target - I'm going legal soon...so we should meet up since we will be fellow contributors soon!

Unkaleong - Gong Xi Fatt choy to you and yup, during CNY choices are so limited. Thank god it is almost back to normal.

Loversville said...

Looks really good :)

boo_licious said...

Loversville - very good but expect to sleep the whole afternoon.

Leon said...

Hyllo masak masak,
Just wanted to warn you and the other blogging community (readers/commenters) of how things have changed drastically for the worst since your last trip. My friends and I had banana leaf rice yesterday evening, and all of us were hit with horrendous food poisoning since then. For everyone's health sake, please do not have the banana leaf rice there!! (you may be safe with regular mamak orders like milo or roti pisang, but I have now officially blacklisted this place). Stay safe, eat safe folks.

World of Animals, Inc said...

Thanks for sharing this delicious looking food with us. We love stopping by your blog for the different dishes you share. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
World of Animals

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...