Friday, September 03, 2010

Mini Snow Skin Lotus Paste Mooncake @ Summer Pavilion, The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore

\
flower design snow skin mooncake

Apologies to those non-mooncake fans as my posts seem to be alternating between Ramadan bazaars and mooncake reviews but do bear with me as I seem to be getting mooncakes from everywhere to try as people know I love trying out new things.

all cut up and ready to be eaten, the rich luxuriant box with the traditional clasp

This time round, I managed to score mooncakes from Singapore courtesy of my kind sister and my brother-in-law who carted them back on his flight back to Kuala Lumpur. Too bad my attempt to get some in the infamous 3 Michelin Star Lung King Heen in Hong Kong was dashed as they had some weird policy of pre-ordering mooncakes before they made them or else, this will be truly a universal review of mooncakes from different countries.
snowdrop design, one more piece to go, the top of the pretty box

They got me the classic mini snow skin with a white lotus seed paste and salted egg yolk centre. I loved the red and gold ornate mooncake box that it was presented in - definitely the prettiest one I have seen so far and extremely useful for storing my business cards in the office.

Compared to the Kuala Lumpur mooncakes, the taste and texture of this mooncake is so different. The snow skin is silky soft with very little bite and a slight gummy taste probably from more oil used. The lotus paste is aromatic plus not too sweet, and wonderfully balanced with the salted egg yolk. The workmanship of the mooncake was a little shoddy too, as one could see they didn't trim off any excess of the snow skin that was jutting out making it look slightly lopsided. Aside from these classic flavours, the restaurant is also does innovative varieties like: jujube paste with walnuts, lycheetini snow skin, green tea paste and chocolate varieties.

Summer Pavilion Restaurant
The Ritz-Carlton
Millenia Singapore

Tel: 02-6434 5286

(A box of six mini snow skin costs S$39 for six pieces. See my whole Mooncake Flickr set for this year's varieties.)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

13 comments:

Michelle Chin said...

Are you in hk now?

The bottom of the mooncake does look strange, I have to agree

EnKoppZen said...

Very nice blog.
/Celina

Sean said...

Gosh I haven't had ANY mooncakes so far this year! I suppose that's partly a good thing, in terms of lowering sugar intake, heheh :D

Ellen Whyte said...

Looks pretty.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
boo_licious said...

Michelle - nope not in HK and yeah, it is definitely strange.

Thxs En Kopp Zen.

Sean - it's a good thing as once you start, you won't stop. Looking fwd to the end of yr trilogy on Il Primo. Looks interesting.

Au&Target - LOL, I know you're anti-mooncakes, hence that statement was directed to you.

J said...

Well u tt say the workmanship is not so good but they still look so pretty in the photos! :)
(see lah. Ur skillz r too good oredi :p)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

They're really so pretty! I could stare at them forever. Except for Shang's awesome mooncakes, I have yet to try any of the other ones this year. Thanks for the reviews!

PureGlutton said...

Like Sean, I also hv not tasted any mooncake yet this year - not really an ardent fan, hehe! But yr mooncakes all look so darn pretty - too pretty to eat, actually! And the boxes are getting more canggih each year - do u keep all of them?! I think u'd need a huge storeroom for them then ;-)

worldwindows said...

Digressing, the box qualifies as a collectible!

CK Lam said...

This is indeed an impressive and beautiful package for the mooncakes, great for gifts :)

Unknown said...

Boo, I want to buy some mooncakes for my family, but I don't know which are the best ones. Which ones do you think are the best in KL, in your opinion?

tastebudtalk said...

Such pretty little things! I didn't get a chance to sample any snowskin mooncakes on my recent trip back to Malaysia so until next year, I shall just have to live vicariously through the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...