Thursday, June 10, 2010

Penang Curry Mee @ Restoran OK, SS2, Petaling Jaya

mix the sambal in to give kick to your curry mee

This must be the most elusive stall I have been pursuing for a long time. I was once told about the existence of this place and forewarned about the difficulty in getting a bowl of curry mee here. Seems it only opens for business from 7.30 to 8am and by 9.30am, they are already scraping the last bits of their daily curry broth.

vegetables are healthy for you

Maybe I was in denial as I never believed the urban legend and used to drop by way beyond 9.30am to test it out. The many times I visited, I turned up with nothing as the stall would have closed for business. I was still happy to visit as I loved the
Lui cha here. The enterprising owner would come up with various types - eat it with crispy fried noodles, with healthier brown rice and the latest version I came across, all wrapped up in a cheong fun or rice flour roll. Priced at RM2.50 a roll, it was a little pricey but yummy stuff indeed with loads of greens within.

crispy popiah

Another stall that kept be occupied was the crispy popiah place that bore a striking resemblance to what is served at Sisters Popiah. This stall wasn't as nice as the Sisters but was pretty passable and decent.

I finally struck lottery one day, as I just managed to make it by 9.30 am (I'm not much of an early riser!) and after begging for a bowl, I finally got a taste of the infamous curry mee with the characteristic mild curry flavour topped with cockles, tofu puffs, blood cubes and brown cuttlefish. I've been hankering for a porky version of Penang styled curry mee for quite some time, especially since I found out Lorong Seratus Tahun has stopped serving their version with blood cubes since they have gone "pork free". This version passed muster for that day but didn't wow my tastebuds to sing, hallelujah!! I wonder whether I got short changed since it was literally the scrap of the barrel. Nevertheless, I shall attempt again to return for an earlier bowl. Now who is going to give me an early wake up call for me to reach there by 8am!!

Restoran OK
Jalan SS2/10
Petaling Jaya

(Non Halal. Restaurant also sells amazingly good wantan noodles with siu kau, Sarawak noodles and venture here at night for the Teochew braised duck.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

20 comments:

minchow said...

8AM morning call at your service, mam! :-) Just say the word!

KY said...

Oh my! got pork blood, I'm there!!!!!!!

thank you very much boo!!!

Sean said...

yikes, a food business that opens for less than two hours a day might be a national record! they should really submit it to the malaysian book of records :D

Dennis Ong said...

WOW~~ love thy blood cube!!! but 7.30 - 9.30am??? mean only can go on weekend lor? (provided can wake up lar... LoL)

vialentino said...

wow...delicious curry noodles...like the curry gravy color

J said...

Curry mee sounds a bit heavy for breakfast tho... I dunno if I dare! I may fall into a lemak induced coma by 10am... Haha...

☺lani☺ said...

Yum! I love curry too! Thanks for sharing. BTW, I'm inviting to join me in Oodles of Noodles. Thanks!
http://mashia-freshcook.blogspot.com/2010/06/oodles-of-noodles.html

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i can so imagine u standing there to beg for the last bowl, remembering the last time at penang, when you managed to get 2 bowls of prawn mee from the last drops of the pot!

pang said...

i've been 2 tis penang curry mee
couple of times (around 10am)but alwiz closed!
i tot maybe it was their "rest day".
One fine day, i reached there at 9.30am, d boss was cleaning up d stall. anyway, tis is a truly authentic penang curry mee. Remember 2 add d "black curry paste" 2 d noodles.
Well, i've found a Penang curry mee
near my place; Sun n Sea kopitiam beside tmn OUG wet market off jln klang lama. It is good too! :)

Ciki said...

wallau.. too damn early :P if u go, pls tapau for me thx!

worldwindows said...

Too many disappointments when it comes to curry laksa. Almost driven me off it. Waiting for the revisit post.

n i l e e y said...

yay...that's my favourite curry laksa stall, i always go around 8am to secure myself a bowl :)

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I'm not much of an early riser either! I guess the only time I can try this is when I send my car for servicing...at 8am. >.<

Krystle Chelsea said...

Once I click onto your website, the mouth-watering curry laksa noodle picture makes me can't stop drooling!Free Credit Score

precious said...

This one looks hot! I like the photo. It makes me want to try it.
baby crib

ronin1770 said...

The The Cheap Web Hosting is one stop for the comparison of best web hosting solutions providers. Easy-to-Understand Comparison Grid allows to quickly identify list of features offered by major Web Hosting Providers.

Compare Hosting Plans for:

1. Basic Hosting
2. Budget Hosting
3. VPS Hosting
4. Dedicated Hosting

Don't forget to review ours Hot Promotions sections for discount coupons and deals on Web Hosting Solutions

Unknown said...

curry laksa!!! ^_^

they had a special on this on http://www.mydeal.com.my other day :) happy me

Kenny Mah said...

That's early! If it were the weekend, I'd probably buy a bowl, makan, then head straight back to sleep. :P

Krystle Chelsea said...

I'd like to introduce you to our website

Travel to Ethiopia

Shi Min said...

I've tried this curry mee before, but maybe because I'm more Johorean, I don't find it at all THAT special to make people wake up sooo early to get it. But overall it's much nicer than normal curry mee =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...