Thursday, March 04, 2010

Roast Pork (Siu Yoke) @ Restoran Golden Kimwah, Damansara Kim, Petaling Jaya


sinfulness on a plate

I reckon I'm biased or it just could be the Chinese in me but honestly don't you think one of the best ever ways to enjoy porcine delights is in the form of roast pork topped with crispy crackling??


delicious stuff

There's something so deliciously sinful about roast pork. For some it is the layers of meat interspersed with fatty chunks while others go wild for the crunchy golden brown skin that top each chunky slice. To me, the best is when all those factors combine to create a rollercoaster of sensations in the mouth - first, the "crackle" when the skin is bitten into followed by the melt-in-the-mouth sensation with the fatty bits melding into the skinny meat parts.

slabs of roast pork

At this particular barbeque meats stall that starts business from 4-4.30pm plus, you'll find a good contender for pork utopia - crunchy skin that top chunky meat and fats. While it won't win the academy award for best roast pork, I think this would feature nicely in the nomination list. I've been told by their regular customer, this particular cut we ate is a little off standard since it's not the sides (sides mean more crunchy bits!) and the meat is denser. Nevertheless, it's worth a second and even third visit to perform another quality check before the final verdict is out. Thanks to Precious Pea and WMW for giving me a new place to indulge in one of my favourite food items.

Restoran Golden Kimwah
Jalan SS20/10
Damansara Kim
Petaling Jaya

(Non Halal. The stall owners have also just opened their barbeque stall at Sun Yin Loong coffeeshop at Aman Suria. A strip of roast pork is RM14.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with: +

18 comments:

qwazymonkey said...

The last picture looks like a nice loaf of bread! LOL

Great find Boo!

NekoHime said...

OoOoOoOooOoOoH. Is all i can say when i see roast pork.

Ciki said...

agree!

KY said...

siu yoke, only one of my favorite foods!!!!

UnkaLeong said...

The curry mee there satisfies my cravings as well ;) I stop by to get my fill on the way home Saturday mornings after my bike ride;)

Sean said...

i could eat siew yoke for brekkie, lunch and dinner! amazingly, i only really started to like it several years ago. it was hard to find good ones back in malacca :D

Precious Pea said...

Next time we should try their rice...it smells so good even from where we were seated.

Katie said...

Yum, that looks delicious! I completely agree with you on the taste sensation between the crackle of the skin and the fatty melty bits - mmmmmmmm. :)

worldwindows said...

I remember the anticipation I had as a kid when my dad brought me to Swatow Coffeshop in Ipoh for this porky delight. Sadly the shop burned down. I had my fix in Puchong but the I moved on. Here in Sri Damansara I am still searching!

Rebecca Saw said...

I read somewhr abt the wan tan mee ehre.. err..was it here? Hmm..must chk. Ah, perfect then, atr visit warranted!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Nice pics, especially the last one. I hardly eat siu yoke outside, because rif's mum makes really good siu yoke herself! ;)

wmw said...

It's RM13 a strip...shall we go to the new stall???

Tailim said...

i didn't know the siow bak is good there, will give it a try next time.

SigmaTE said...

Man . . nothing beats siu yoke with char siu. That's the perfect combination with rice. Mmmm . . .

Lyn said...

I used to live in that area as I went to the school nearby.The store's been around for as long as I can remember!

It's still one of my favourite chicken rice stalls of all time. =D


Ps* My parents are of the opinion that the wantan mee stall that operates in the morning sells one of the best wantan mee around pj too. =)

Rarebeet said...

That is one sexy mother of a silhouette!

boo_licious said...

qwazymonkey - ain't no bread but sinful porky!

nekohime - hee hee, I'll nvr say no to roast pork ever.

C&C - am curious to go try their new stall. I reckon it'll be my lunchtime find.

High Five KY! Siu Yoke is also my ultimate fav, followed by char siu, suckling pig and the list goes on and on...

Unkaleong, curry mee sounds divine! Must revisit for that too.

Sean - we have great siu yoke here so continue eating them. My fav ones are the short stubby HK versions.

Precious Pea - yes, we could smell that rice a mile away! So heong.

Katie - u're making my tummy rumble with that description!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I like the crisp skin/melt-in-your-mouth type...similar to the Pudu one. This would be a lot closer to home, for sure. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...